gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 03:09:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $500 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to the main page at http://www.epicrockradio.com and help Epic Rock Radio out with a donation!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Roy Khan - In or Out?  (Read 5088 times)
~V~
Lead Administrator
Post Rank 5

Epic-Rock-Radio-V@live.com epicrockradioVee@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:38:34 am »

ProgPowerUSA Promoter Glenn Harveston's opinion on KAMELOT's current situation... *must read*

The more that I read on various forums and media outlets, the more pissed off I get. Kamelot grew alongside the festival and hate to see negativity being thrown at them when it's not their fault. I started this thread so more folks would see it as opposed to just those following the tour thread.

I 100% agree that Roy was and is an integral part of Kamelot's success over the past 12 years. However, the band has been backed into a corner with no easy way out. The band has done everything in its power to accommodate Roy despite his abrupt decision to pull out of everything and cause all members to lose a substantial amount of money. They have given him multiple options in regards to returning and continuing the band. Need a year? No problem. Need two years? No problem. Just give us something so we can schedule and confirm things.

*Silence*

It's not happening. Khan is not in coma or mental institution screaming "BURNOUT!!!." He has simply found religion and the music world is just a distant memory now. The band is no longer his priority. I may take some heat for this, but I don’t think the fans are either at the moment. If they were, he would issue a statement clarifying things so that grieving process for his fans could commence and eventually complete. Could that change in a few years? Absolutely. However, it may not. Fans need to accept that and move on. Is the band suppose to simply wait on the sidelines indefinitely in the meantime and see all their efforts wasted?

To me, Kamelot have been total pros about everything. They have kept quiet and kept all of their options on the table while hoping that Roy changes his mind. If they say anything at all, it would may hurt the chances of a reunion or cause a fan backlash. I'm sure the label would be thrilled as well.

The reality is that this is a fulltime job for the guys in the band. Hell, several of the guys quit other bands/jobs to join Kamelot and make it a priority (Oliver & Sean). How do you think they feel right now? They have to earn a living. Thus, they tour with a high profile vocalist and plan the future accordingly as things unfold. There are some tough decisions to be made coming up. I have no doubt the band will continue to show class when making them.

EPIC ROCK RADIO, where metal, is the way it should be!
http://facebook.com/Valerie.ERR.Carney
LadyWoreBlack
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 04:35:12 pm »

Interesting to hear this kind of perspective on what Khan is up to. I always knew it had to more serious or something other than "burnout". That never really added up to me. I can live with anyone leaving a band for numerous reasons, but seriously, a religion that tells you what kind of job you can have, or takes over that much of your time?  If this guy has the story right, that is not God you're listening to, it's a cult, in my opinion. Nonetheless, I wish the best for all of the guys, and sincerely hope this is not true.

"All alone now, except for the memories...." QR-Eyes of a Stranger
Red43
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 04:15:02 am »

Grin Grin For regilous reasons ?  Grin Grin Grin he used to be a catholic priest ? or is he considering to become one  Roll Eyes Grin Grin.. I'm sure the Pope will love him  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Seriously..... I don't mind and I don't really care if he's in or out. With or withoutn him..they're overrated anyway.
But...I wish him and the band all the best.

Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:35:17 am by Red43 » Logged
Mir
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 04:36:39 am »

With or withoutn him..they're overrated anyway.

and a very little popular in Europe which is governed by German and Scandinavian metal.
Red43
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 12:24:16 am »

With or withoutn him..they're overrated anyway.

and a very little popular in Europe which is governed by German and Scandinavian metal.

Hail to that Mir \m/

Grin Grin Grin
~V~
Lead Administrator
Post Rank 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 06:10:06 pm »

KAMELOT Guitarist Says 'Religious Aspect' Played Part In Singer's Decision To Sit Out Tour - Mar. 16, 2011

Jorge Ciudad of Chile's PowerMetal.cl web site recently conducted an interview with KAMELOT guitarist Thomas Youngblood. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

On recruiting singer Fabio Lione (RHAPSODY OF FIRE) to fill in for longtime KAMELOT frontman Roy Khan, who has declined to take part in the band's current tour:

Youngblood: "I've heard some songs with Fabio singing — some KAMELOT songs like 'Ghost Opera' — and he sings quite different than he does with RHAPSODY for KAMELOT, which also, of course, makes sense, because it's a different approach to vocals.

"The idea [to hire Fabio for the tour] came from Sascha Paeth, our producer, who also produces RHAPSODY. He suggested it because he has worked with Fabio and knows his abilities. But, obviously, the high range that he can do with songs like 'Center Of The Universe' or 'Nights Of Arabia', these are songs that we… I think over the years, Roy, his range has dropped, so a song like 'Nights Of Arabia' is no problem for Fabio to sing. So we're gonna add some songs [to the upcoming tour's setlist] that we haven't been able to play over the past few years that I think fans have been wanting to hear."

On the rumor that Roy Khan's "religious conversion" played a major part in his decision to sit out KAMELOT's current world tour:

Youngblood: "This is what we do, this is what we love doing — the band loves performing, we love touring. And I don't know if Roy has lost that… in his heart, in terms of what he likes doing. I know that there are some other issues. I know that there is a religious aspect to it now that I can't really 100 percent explain. Obviously, we were disappointed, and I'm not gonna lie, I was a little bit pissed off about it, but at the same time, we — the whole band, together — decided, 'Listen, we're not gonna slow down! We've got this new album and we wanna come to South America.' And that's what we're doing."

"Whenever we had a day or two off in Europe [on previous KAMELOT tours], [Roy] needed to fly home, which I thought was kind of extreme, to fly home, but that kind of was a sign was that I should have noticed that maybe the touring part was not for him. But the religious aspect of it is something that I want him to kind of talk about, but I know that he had been going to religious classes, for whatever reason. Obviously, over the years of working together and being, at times, best friends and things like that, we have discussed all kinds of topics about religion, so it's actually very surprising to me that this is where we are at now with him. But I don't really wanna talk too much more about it, because that's really something, I think, that he should come out about, in terms of what he believes or doesn't believe or whatever. All I can say is right now the band is unified and we're just not gonna slow down."

On the possibility that KAMELOT may need to look for a new permanent singer:

Youngblood: "I don't really wanna think about that until this touring cycle is over. All I can say is we're not gonna fire him; that's not my position and I... It is my position, but I'm not gonna do that. . . If Roy decides that he doesn't wanna do this anymore, he has to make an announcement. But right now, I think the smartest thing for us, and the most compassionate thing, is to just give him the time until the next record, until we start really working hard on the next album, and if by that time he is not ready to work and doesn't wanna work, then we have to look at the possibility of getting another singer, which is, obviously, something we are willing to do, if we have to do that."

You can listen to PowerMetal.cl's interview with Thomas Youngblood in the YouTube clip below.

Interview w/Thomas

Hunter's Season  (This song is bout Thomas' Mother who passed in 2009)

Guidrummist
Post Rank 4

Yes, those drums are made of cheese.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 06:16:14 pm »

"I think over the years, Roy, his range has dropped, so a song like 'Nights Of Arabia' is no problem for Fabio to sing. So we're gonna add some songs [to the upcoming tour's setlist] that we haven't been able to play over the past few years that I think fans have been wanting to hear." -Thomas Youngblood
So people haven't been imagining it. Interesting. The drama thickens.

Paranoia is the only rational approach to a conspiracy world.
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 06:42:08 pm »

Screw that.  They need to get Jarkko Ahola.  *nods repeatedly*

That would be awesome.

Snow
Post Rank 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 11:22:31 pm »

Kamelot is my favourite band. I would be upset if the worst was to come, and Roy was to leave.

I read a little while ago that Roy suffer's from depression and anxiety. While on tour, he worries about his wife and children back at home, and he gets depressed from worrying. I was not aware of Roy getting involved with religion. Whether or not that is true, like I said previously, I'd be devestated.

When Roy became part of Kamelot, I was pleased. Knowing him from Conception, I knew he'd do a good job, and clearly, he has. Roy is one of those vocalists, who are one of a kind and has a one of a kind voice. I can't possibly think of someone else who would have a bigger impact on Kamelot. Roy Khan will always be the special ingrediant to Kamelot.

I hope the worse does not happen. Embarrassed

" I despise a world which does not feel that music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy. ” ~ Ludwig van Beethoven
~V~
Lead Administrator
Post Rank 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 08:59:14 am »

Dear fans & friends,

There have been a lot of speculations around why I am not touring with Kamelot and I want to make a statement although it may not prevent further guessing as to what's actually going on. It is a fact however that I told the guys in the band already last fall (well after my burnout) that I was leaving the band. Naturally enough they were shocked (as was the label and everyone else working with Kamelot). In addition to risk of dropping ticket sales they wanted to give me time to think things over, and so I did. My decision still stands; It is finished.

I am currently spending time with my family in Norway taking it easy and wondering profoundly what the future is going to bring. Communication with the outer world has been so and so, but I have had several talks with Thomas along the way although I am still called in sick. I am terribly sorry that my decision is affecting so many others and I want you to know I wish the band & associates all the best for the future and that I enjoyed every second in the spotlight. How could I not...they were nourished by the best fans in the world! I am eternally thankful for everything you and Kamelot have given me and equally sorry that it has to end here. The good news is; God was there after all...

Love you to death!!!

All the best & so long,
Roy Khan

Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 02:40:18 pm »

Well...  There you have it.  Roy Khan has left Kamelot.

Kamelot statement
Posted on April 22, 2011

With a heavy heart we can now announce that Roy Khan has chosen to leave the band. We wanted to give him ample time for this kind of decision, due to his recent burnout and also the amount of amazing times we have shared with him in Kamelot. We respectfully accept his resignation from the band and wish him the best in his future endeavors. The timing is actually good since we feel the uncertainty the fans have had can now be laid to rest and the band can move on to finding a new singer. “The tour is going great so far and the fans have been amazing throughout this entire process” – adds keyboardist Oliver Palotai. With the new tour already in progress, Kamelot has already begun the search for a new vocalist. “I have a few guys in mind”, said band founder Thomas Youngblood. “And as you can imagine, it is a very important decision. There are some amazing singers that have already contacted us on this but we will take our time to find the right person”. Due to the overwhelming success of the recent shows in South America, we are pleased to announce new shows in November/December for Europe (stay tuned).

Thomas, Casey, Oliver and Sean

~V~
Lead Administrator
Post Rank 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 03:35:52 pm »

Cry

...a page, turns.

Snow
Post Rank 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 03:46:36 pm »

No! No! No! Sad  Sad  Sad

http://www.myspace.com/roykhanofficial/blog/542719606

This saddens me very much, Kamelot is my favourite band. I always loved Roy's voice, and hope he returns to music soon. Cry

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:10:16 pm by Snow » Logged

" I despise a world which does not feel that music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy. ” ~ Ludwig van Beethoven
LadyWoreBlack
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 05:40:46 pm »

I'm kinda okay with this, because at least fans are no longer left hanging in limbo, nor the band either. I'm pretty confident the guys will find a great replacement (wish it could be Michael Erickson, if he didn't have that Circus Maximus gig already)!!  Grin

"All alone now, except for the memories...." QR-Eyes of a Stranger
~V~
Lead Administrator
Post Rank 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 07:24:48 pm »

Actually, Kamelot already knew about it from the start... they were giving Roy some space to maybe change his mind.

But it's good that he finally addressed his fans... about time.

What is that one song off their new release where a portion of the lyrics was, "I spoke to God, but he wasn't there"?  I caught the reference at the end of his blog, as I'm sure many others have.

I wish Roy and his family a very bright future.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: