gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 02:36:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Poll
Question: How open are you to music?
Very open
Open but only to certian genres
Not Really Open at all, i listen to what i like and thats it
Not open at all
No opinion

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How Open Are You To..  (Read 1755 times)
Reichwulf
Post Rank 3

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Music is Enlightenment Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:07:05 am »

Music?

I myself listen to almost anything and everything i can get my hands on and am pretty open to anything except newer pop music and brutal death metal.  But many people i know seem to be genre freaks or fight against what type of music is better or even worse, don't attempt to expand their musical knowledge.  So i was curious to find out what others here were and thought about their taste for music and openness to other genres not just what ERR provides.  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:11:19 am by Reichwulf » Logged

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
- Buddha
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 04:29:01 pm »

Although progressive/symphonic metal is the core of what I love, and I will always love it, I'm quite open to a number of other genres.  Some artists that I like that would probably surprise many of you.  Here are a few of them, in no particular order:

Oingo Boingo (Been to SIX concerts, including their farewell concert)
Billy Joel
Elton John
The Moody Blues
Asia
Meat Loaf
Ivan Rebroff
Abney Park
Chanticleer
Sting
Muse
Public Image Limited
They Might Be Giants
Jeff Buckley
Michael Jackson (80's)
Weird Al Yankovic
Almost anything on the Dr. Demento show
Eminem (Sort of)
Just about any sort of Salsa-style South American music
Rodney Atkins (Yeah, I know it's country.  But I like it.)
Heather Alexander (Before her gender change operation.  Don't ask.)
Most trance music if it hasn't got any lyrics
The Four Seasons
The Bee Gees
Lisa Hannigan
Elvis Costello
VAST
Boston
Selected showtunes (Phantom, Les Mes, Etc)

So... Yeah.  A pretty wide range of genres, I think?  I can appreciate a lot of different music, and am usually only disinterested in stuff that is too simplistic to hold my attention, is poorly performed in general, or is obviously dependent on post-processing (vocoder, autotune, etc) in order to make it work.

Like Reichwulf, I can't handle most modern pop or brutal death metal.  Sometimes Lady Gaga's music amuses me, but only if I am watching the video at the same time.  Man, is she weird.

Jarrod Kailef
Creator and owner of Epic Rock Radio
Guildmaster of PIF Silvergate

Tai-i of House Jurai 1st Imperial Guards
Master Bard of The Poets' Circle
Knight of the Order of the New Britannian Empire
Music composer for Shroud of the Avatar

The Eagle Warrior
ERR Champion
Post Rank 5

I love it when a plan comes together.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:13:33 am »

I don't even turn my radio on anymore because of lady gaga. I have to listen to her garbage 24/7. Usually on the bus to work, then at work etc, etc. I must be the only one who can't stand her, and she is in Australia as we speak up too her usual antics.
CrystallineHeart
Post Rank 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 12:45:02 am »

First and foremost, I love metal. Power, progressive, thrash, and yes, even black and death metal. But I also listen to classic rock ('cause new rock sucks monkey nuts), trance music so long as it's really dark and has no lyrics, weird experimental electronic music, 80s new wave, movie soundtracks and even classical and new age music, although I can't listen to that stuff for long because it puts me to sleep. I absolutely can't stand bubblegum poptart crap, hip-hop, mainstream dance, new rock or country. I don't even listen to regular radio anymore.
Slate-Grey
ERR Champion
Post Rank 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:41:54 am »

I like what I like (some metal, including most of what plays here; new age relaxation-type music; and classical music (mainly baroque)). I have varying degrees of disgust for the rest. I voted accordingly.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:43:38 am by Slate-Grey » Logged

Slate-Grey
Snow
Post Rank 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 08:57:30 pm »

Besides metal, I love Classical, Dark Ambient, and Folk music. Smiley

I live in Canada, a country where rock dominates all other types of music, so I have naturally grown to like rock music. I do listen to the radio. The city I live in has two radio stations that broadcast metal, and a decent classical station.

I am voting for Open but only to certian genres.

" I despise a world which does not feel that music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy. ~ Ludwig van Beethoven
Muzz
Post Rank 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 09:55:50 pm »

I'll listen to practically anything if I think it's good enough and worthy of my attention and being older than most ERR listeners, I've probably had the opportunity to listen to more different artists and styles over the years than most.

I also have kids who have danced competitively for years and that certainly creates exposure to many different styles. They have comps running right at the moment and I've been to sessions where I've heard classical, swing, pop, hiphop, broadway and others. Most of this doesn't bother me too much although songs from Barbara Streisand and Wicked tempt me to jump the stage and kill somebody. Angry Lips sealed

I may also post a list of some of the many different artists I listen to for those in the Open category. Wink
Guidrummist
Post Rank 4

Yes, those drums are made of cheese.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 03:30:49 am »

I'll listen to anything once. My favorites tend to be ones that either combine elements of a bunch of different genres, or do what they do very well, but once in a while, I'll latch onto a cool-sounding obscure genre, like Indo-fusion, which combines classical Indian music with jazz and/or funk (and rock, in a few cases) just because it's so new and different to me, and I want to get to know it better.

That said, most of the artists I spend the most time listening to tend to fall under prog-rock, metal, classical, or jazz. I like the stuff on here because even the bands that only do music in one style tend to do it well, be very good at their instruments, and sound like they're having fun both writing and performing the songs. And of course, the proggier bands don't tend to be limited to just one sound  Wink

Paranoia is the only rational approach to a conspiracy world.
LadyWoreBlack
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 06:36:19 pm »

Country and rap are completely out of the question for me, as is most current pop crap. Like Kailef, however, I do find Lady Gaga amusing from time to time.  Grin Besides the stuff here, I like some showtunes stuff and most subgenres of rock, especially the classics like Floyd, Queen, Boston, Heart, Kansas, Alan Parson's Project, and Foreigner. I can't lie....I have a soft spot for cheesy, over the top 80's metal as well. I voted: Open, but only to certain genres.

"Chase the light I see ahead, luminate the path I tread, I live to be the best I can" Queensryche - Best I Can
pack1fan4life
Post Rank 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 09:30:48 am »

Metal, obviously, is my favorite. Apart from that, I love classic rock and real country (not the really poppy stuff a la Swift). I also like some modern rock and CCM. The only genres I truly despise are hip-hop and top 40 pop.

Green Bay Packers, 2010 World Champions
Totino-Grace High School, Back-2-back  Football State Champions
Minnesota Twins, 2009 + 2010 AL Central Champs
Reichwulf
Post Rank 3

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Music is Enlightenment Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 04:11:27 am »

It's really nice to see how others view music, and different types of it.   Grin

Thanks everyone who has posted thus far Smiley

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
- Buddha
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: