gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2019, 06:04:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Audio Stream System  (Read 7651 times)
atlantis
Post Rank 5

realityequation.net

livatlantis
View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 03, 2004, 02:56:29 am »

Hey Kailef, thought I'd post a bit about my ERR experience.

I love the songs that are played, but sometimes it's a bit slow. I'm on 56k and maybe that's the main reason, but Shoutcast radios (like Rakosh) work absolutely faster. They're easier to start up, directly from Winamp. You can do that here as well, though.

And, why don't the names of the song come within the player? Some radios have that, and it's so much easier.

Of course, those radios don't have an awesome community, playlist or request systems. Roll Eyes

Your request systems and CD covers, are they supported by Live365? It's so much difficult to get new listeners on Live365 (because of adverts). A Shoutcast server would be simpler.

That would also make ERR independant from Live365. I've read it's very easy and practical to set it up.

Just my thoughts, because my streams usually stop after about seven minutes or so...

Anyway, just minor stuff, ERR rules Cheesy

reality equation of infinite variables
http://www.realityequation.net/
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 07:15:38 am »

Atlantis,

Actually, we used to use Shoutcast before!  I greatly prefer Shoutcast, and the company we used to run our relay (Fast-Serv) is absolutely fantastic.  In fact, I am still using them Fast-Serv...  that's where the ERR website is hosted.

The problem is this:  If we use Shoutcast, we then become an independent radio station instead of a radio station operating under the blanket royalty contract of Live365.  While that sounds good, here's the problem:  It costs an independent broadcaster of my size approximately $5000 US dollars a year just in royalty payments to BMI, ASCAP, etc...  That's a LOT of money.  When I stream through Live365, they pay all of my royalty fees.  That way, I only need to pay for hosting the website and for my streaming bandwidth, which right now is only about $500 a year.

I agree with you - Shoutcast is much easier to deal with, easier to launch, the artist and album name stream to Winamp, etc...  But it will also cost me a fortune.  I did, however, find a neat way that I might be able to start using Shoutcast again, through a company called SWCast.  I'll keep you posted.  (SWCast is a group of Shoutcast broadcasters who grouped together and formed their own blanket contract with ASCAP, BMI, and the rest of the major record labels.)

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 07:17:07 am »

Oh, by the way, no - My request system and CD art covers, etc, are all handled by my personally owned streaming server and website.  That continues to work no matter who we stream through, Live365 or otherwise.   Grin

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Sebastien
Post Rank 1

Crazy French

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 07:19:20 am »

Oh, by the way, no - My request system and CD art covers, etc, are all handled by my personally owned streaming server and website.

since I'm a programmer, did you design that thing yourself
Huh if yes I'll be quite happy to know how you did it  Tongue

Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 09:08:50 am »

Oh, goodness no, I didn't design it.  Well, sort of - I customized the default PHP page of SAM2, from Spatial Audio Solutions.  (SAM2 is the software that I use to stream)

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

atlantis
Post Rank 5

realityequation.net

livatlantis
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 03:29:13 pm »

Great! Cheesy Wow, call me stupid, but I didn't know you had to pay royalties for online radio  Shocked In that case, it's just a small problem. SWCast sounds great, though Grin

And wow, you've got a *very* complex system there. CD Covers, requests, playlists, links to stores... So you use the SAM2 PHP system?

I'm learning Perl as well (what this forum uses, and I love so much) and maybe I can design something like this later on. Umm... later on. Roll Eyes

@Sebastien: Wow, we've got all kinds of people here Wink What do you program? In UNIX? Smiley Let me guess... must be PHP!

Sebastien
Post Rank 1

Crazy French

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 06:31:00 pm »

@Sebastien: Wow, we've got all kinds of people here Wink What do you program? In UNIX? Smiley Let me guess... must be PHP!

Grin well not on Unix, and it's not really my job at the moment, since there's not room left in IT over here, but yes, my degrees are all in that way

Cheesy php dev  Grin

atlantis
Post Rank 5

realityequation.net

livatlantis
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 06:36:54 pm »

Wow. I considered PHP as well for programming but people told me it's mainly for web with database and stuff. So I went to Perl. Grin I got confused with all the talk of Apache, MySQL and stuff. I just wanted to hobby-program Wink

Sebastien
Post Rank 1

Crazy French

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2004, 05:33:14 am »

Wow. I considered PHP as well for programming but people told me it's mainly for web with database and stuff.

depends on what you want to do  Shocked...you can do a lot with php, but yes, it's mainly for web and it's often associated with a database  Cheesy

atlantis
Post Rank 5

realityequation.net

livatlantis
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2004, 03:10:35 pm »

Right. I think I'll stay with Perl now, and of course learn some PHP sometime later Grin I downloaded a PHP tutorial as well (the official one) today and installed PHP and Win98. Let's see Grin

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: