gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2019, 03:55:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Amir's Top 10 Bands  (Read 8749 times)
amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2007, 07:26:44 am »

Well well well, here it goes my favoriate bands.

Honorable mentions: Iron Maiden, Stratovarius, Amorphis, Rhapsody, Iced Earth.

10- Within Temptation: One of the first female fronted bands I got to know after watching their (recorded) performance in Dynamo Open Air Fest, a classic of Dutch goth metal band. Musically very melodic and close to be named as symphonic metal.

9- After Forever: Another great symphonic metal band from Netherlands, with a very talented front soprano singer, Floor Jansen. Looking forward to get to their concert.

8- Kamelot: One of the best power metal bands currently, though I only like their work after Roy Khan joined Kamelot. Simply Kamelot is a nice mixture of complex but smooth melodic metal music.

7- Falconer: I should second what Kailef wrote about them here, they give you one of the hardest metal music in a very melodic atmosphere, a very just combination of folk and metal music, just listen to "The Quest for the Crown", to realize how much talented are these musicans to create such a complex song, but with a very folk oriented theme. They have a very special place in hearts of all power metal listeners, as they stood in the first place for quite a long time in ERR's request list.

6- Therion: Do I need to say anything about them? They are just one of the greatest true symphonic metal bands out there. They have changed during past from a crappy Death Metal band to create some of the greatest symphonic metal albums like "Secret of the Runes". I will be attending their show in February Grin.

5- Epica: And Epica gets the silver medal, no they stay in 5th place, as they are just my taste of music, great classical scores with powerful metal ingredients and one of the most talented soprano singers ever seen in metal, Simone Simons, but with some annoying death grunts. Wish I really could understand the philosophy of growling vocals.

4- Blind Guardian: How one can make a power metal list and not rank Blind Guardian there (though Kailef did , lol). One of the first bands I got to know in Power Metal genre, and guess with which song, "Bard's Song in the Forest", one of their greatest songs ever. And what a great vocalist is Hansi. Simply an amazing band. They influenced me up to the point where I am still using BlindGuardian as my IM alias Wink.

3- Nightwish: I got to know Nightwish through my ex-girl friend whom is currently my wife Grin I think Nightwish could be mentioned as one of the first bands to show how female soprano could be used in a melodic power metal music and they influenced many other bands such as After Forever and Epica. After firing the Britney Spears of metal, Tarja, from Nightwish,  I'm very excited to see who will be on mic for this talented band.

2- Pink Floyd: This is the band which I have lived with from my last years of teenage up to now, though it had nothing to do with metal music at all. A great example of Prog Rock band, musically very talented and creative and lyrically sometimes hitting into depth of politics and sociaty and another time gives you a deep philosophical concept. Needless to say one of their greatest albums, "Dark Side of the Moon" sits in 3rd place of all-time best selling albums and in the first place for the longest stay in top 200 of US albums chart for more than 740 weeks (about 14 years). It is estimated that one in every 14 people in the U.S. under the age of 50 owns or owned a copy of this album Grin

1- Haggard: And the gold medal goes to Haggard, yes, the only band I found to give you the feeling that the electric guitars are not the only way of creating a heavy metal music, give an orchestra into the hands of Asis Nasseri and get back the most amazing symphonic metal music ever composed. Looking forward to go to their concert for the second time in February Grin

That's it
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 07:49:34 am by amirsaffari » Logged
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 09:04:56 am »

Great list, Amir.  I've got to admit here... I've never heard any Haggard before.  Based on your (obviously very high) recommendation, I'll go check them out.

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Prior
Post Rank 4

Bach, Vaughn-Williams , Therion: it's all good

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:05:01 am »

Yea, it is a great list Amir.  This makes me want to explore Within Tempation, Epica and After Forever (even quicker than my waning funds will allow   Sad  )
I've got to mention that I did receive in the post Haggard's cd 'Awaking the Centuries,' and have now had a chance to listen to it.  It's wonderful; so wonderful that I may actually like it better than 'Eppe.'   The title track "owns" me right now.  Thanks Amir, without your great reviews of Haggard I never would have given them a try.  I owe you buddy.

And Pink Floyd, woa dude... number two, that's cool.  I still need to pick up "Atom Mother Smasher (or whatever it's called, the cd with the cow) and "Piper at the Gates of Dawn' to have a complete Floyd library.  Frankly though, with Piper, I'm not sure I will.  I don't really like the Syd Barrett tunes.  
I still think their best album ever is 'Wish You Were Here."
Prior

"If I ever die of a heart attack, I hope it will be from playing my stereo too loud"  -- Anonymous

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"
-- Robert Fripp
amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 10:18:04 pm »

Hey Kailef, Thanks and yes, I would really recommend you to give them a listen, Haggard simply is amazing (at least to me), the only downside is the growling vocal which Asis Nasseri uses, but since the music is really great and there are two sopranos and one tenore vocals, it's not that much annoying. Just check the links bellow Kailef for a few clips, and their own website has short MP3 samples too: http://www.haggard.de .

And Prior, Thanks a lot dude, that "Awaking the Centuries" title track is awesome, that Piano solo kills me on that song Shocked , simply amazing , and so is great the rest of the album Grin , I'm glad that you liked it.

And yes, Pink Floyd for me sits comfortably in 2nd place, and like you said Prior, I really don't like pre-historic works of Pink Floyd, for me Pink Floyd starts from "Dark Side of the Moon", and I like the afterwards albums equally, each are great in some directions.

Some Haggard's clips:
Haggard - In a full moon procesion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roJ0Vt4HirI

Haggard - Prophecy fullfilled- And the dark night entered
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GmGR_RwlXw

Haggard - The Final Victory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yfzU0tSWd4&mode=related&search=

i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 06:19:56 am »

I'll have to be the second one to admit that I have never heard any Haggard stuff. I will have to definitely check them out. All in all 'tis a pretty great list. I personally do not care much for female vocals in metal. I like alot of Nightwish's stuff and I liked Epica live but I don't see myself spending alot of my CD budget on these types of bands, that's why they are not in my top list. I guess I really need to check out Therion also. They are just a band that I have never heard any music from. You and Prior both included them in your top ten. I like your placement of your long time love PF in the 2 spot.   Cool

Kamelot is a must have in anyone's top ten it seems. They are an awesome band! As for your honorable mentions....those are all great bands. Except Amorphis, I don't know anything about these guys. What kind of metal do they play? Must I add another band to the list that doesn't slow. Who do they sound similar too?  

"If There Is Life After Death, There Is No Death
  And If Death Does Not Exist, We Do Not Live"
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 11:16:07 am »

Amir,

Holy shit on steroids.

Why didn't somebody tell me how stupid I was being for not having Haggard on Epic Rock Radio?  I just downloaded "Eppur Si Muove" from an online store and... Holy crap.  I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but I'm completely blown away.  They are their own symphony.  There's like, 20 members of the band or something.  It's insane.  There's like three or four singers.  It's beautiful, powerful, amazing.  Wow.

I'm going to upload this album to the station immediately.  Expect to hear it playing within the hour.

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

lucas_broom
Post Rank 3

Just call me Luca

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 12:28:10 pm »

Haggard at number 1 huh? I have never heard of them but I love the rest of your list so it looks like me and Fabio are gonna have to put some Haggard in our next order of cds. Hope my poker streak continues cause we have alot of cds to buy. Grin

My band will be named Pagans Gallery
Prior
Post Rank 4

Bach, Vaughn-Williams , Therion: it's all good

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 01:48:02 pm »

Okay Kalief:
"You were stupid"   Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Nah, Haggard is just one of those unique bands that has to be heard to be believed.  I am very happy you're going to have them on ERR.  All is forgiven  Cheesy

"If I ever die of a heart attack, I hope it will be from playing my stereo too loud"  -- Anonymous

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"
-- Robert Fripp
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 02:09:10 pm »

They're already up and playing.   Wink

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 07:49:46 pm »

Great Kailef Grin , I'm really happy for including Haggard into the ERR library. And yes, they are just damn great, Haggard is a complete pack, they have their own choral, their own orchestra, and damn that Asis Nasseri is a talented musician, I really don't see any other symphonic metal band in the vicinity of the level they are. I'm really glad that you gave them a try. For "Eppur Si Muove", Asis invited another 10 classic instruments to be a part of that great album Grin

For future additions, you could have their "Awaking The Centuries" and "And Thou Shalt Trust The Seer", as their previous albums/demos are not considered as what nowadays represents Haggard.
amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 08:31:27 pm »

Fabio and Luca, thanks for your review, about Haggard, the best admin in the world, Kailef, uploaded already the whole album of "Eppur Si Mouve", their latest work. The self-titled track is awesome, so is the rest of the album. If you like to have a real symphonic metal experience, just request a few songs from this album.

About Therion, they are the closest band musically to Haggard, and Kailef has "Secret of the Runes" and "Vovin" albums on ERR, IMO "Secret of the Runes" is one of their best works so far.

And who is Amorphis Cheesy , they are one of the most well known Death/Doom metal bands of early 90s, and then they changed to play Progressive metal by the "Elegy" album. I like their afterward works, they have quite melodic and sometimes powerful songs, you can easily hear other instruments like saxophone, flutes, and sitar on many songs. Quite nice band IMO.

Here are a few samples on Youtube:

Amorphis - My kantele
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U05xIz5m13A

Amorphis - Alone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev2zkM22Y_A

Amorphis - Divinity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqMERCdXZjM

Amorphis - House of Sleep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pdG8PZjVog&mode=related&search=
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 08:32:55 pm by amirsaffari » Logged
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 10:17:15 pm »

Amorphis sounds pretty cool. Reminds me of the band HIM (who I like by the way). Sounds like they are a unique band, it is cool how they add in the exotic instruments to their songs. And as for Haggard, I will surely be requesting them on ERR along with Therion if they are even on the station. I will let you know my thoughts when they come to me.  Cool

"If There Is Life After Death, There Is No Death
  And If Death Does Not Exist, We Do Not Live"
amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 12:11:33 am »

Bump
Sun_dance
Post Rank 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 03:55:15 am »

Hey Amir,

Regardless of the genre, Pink Floyd is an amazing... was going to say Band, but i'd rather classify them as a Fantastic Experience!

And yes, if the list is Power only, Blind Guardian should be on it. I don't share your enthusiasm with Haggard. They're really good, but no "passion" in our "relationship", eheheh. I'm more into Therion, definitely.

About Amorphis. "House of Sleep" and so on are realyy great songs. But if you let me pick ONE, only ONE, Amorphis song, sorry mate, but it surely would be "Black Winter Day"... Ever tried "To Die For" ? Finish band, but not as refined as Amorphis i think. Technically speaking...

Great list!

Keep rockin'
amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 11:54:30 pm »

Hey Sun, Pink Floyd is awesome, good to hear that you like it too. Amorphis is great too, and thanks for the tip on the other finish band "To Die For", I will give them a try Wink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: