gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2019, 03:54:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Fabio's Top Ten Bands!  (Read 11866 times)
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2007, 04:48:36 am »

First here are my Honorable Mentions:

Metallica - Band that first got me into metal. My dad bought me the "Black Album" when I was in sixth grade and after that they were my favorite band until I discovered the undiscovered. If you haven't seen one or the other yet I would recommend watching "Live Shit, Binge and Purge" and/or "Cunning Stunts".........then you will see why they owned the world in the earlier 90's. They WERE the definition of Metal.

Shadow Gallery - A band sort of newly discovered by me. They would probably be in my top ten if I had heard more of their material. "Tyranny" is one of the best CD's of all time IMO. And the other that I have by them, "Room V", is not far behind.

Rush - A band that defined progressive rock/metal....at least in my mind. Still when I listen to them I find it absolutely amazing that they were creating songs like they were in the 70's. They have a drummer that would not be left out of any greatest drummer's discussion. And Geddy is one of my favorite bassists. Definitely among the all time greats in my mind.

Blind Guardian - A band that deserves all the credit in the world. Have created some of the most memorable songs of all time. Have pushed the boundaries in the genre and were never afraid to go in a different direction than the rest of the crowd. Plus they have a singer who would be among my list of top vocalists in Hansi.

I'm gonna post this first and then start on my top ten. I finished my whole list last night and then when I was done, it said it was too long. When I clicked the back button there was nothing but a blank box. All that work for nothing.  Sad So my list is gonna be in parts this will be considered Part1 .

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 01:13:11 pm by i_am_fabio » Logged

"If There Is Life After Death, There Is No Death
  And If Death Does Not Exist, We Do Not Live"
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 05:00:09 am »

Part II

Now here is my list of bands that are on my radar that could be in my top  bands very soon. Most either have only one album out or I just haven't heard more than one album by them (but are on my list to add more from because I'm loving what I have heard so far).

Adagio - Somehow they flew under my radio for a while but from what I have heard from them so far they will be moving up my list of favorites quickly. Just need to get some of their work before I can officially move them up the charts.

Cellador - A band alot like Dragonforce with a Bruce Dickenson sounding singer. They are incredibly fast and talented. I don't know if they will ever be among my favorite of favorites but they are definitely a band to keep an eye out for.

Dark Empire - Their debut "Distant Tides" is on of the best discs I have ever heard. I only wish it had more than six songs. They are recording their new album right now and I'll tell you that I will be one waiting in line when it's released (by this I mean I will be ordering it online as soon as I can).

Hibria - This bands debut absolutely kicked my ass. More traditional metal but has many elements of Power thrown into the mix. The singer reminds me of Heiman, who we all know is a god among men in my eyes. I could see these guys being among my favorites in the future.

i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 05:30:22 am »

Part III;

10) Iron Maiden - This is a band which defines everything that is great in the genre we know and love. If there was no Maiden I don't believe anything we listen to today would exist. Steve Harris is the Man! He is my second favorite bassist of all time and I can't say enough for his ability to write one hell of a song, time and time again. Also they have one of the best vocalists metal has ever seen in Bruce Dickenson. Iron Maiden = Legends

9) Evergrey - These guys keep coming out with solid album after solid album. First I'd like to say that without Tom S. Englund on vocals this band would be just another band for me. His unique style and the pure raw emotion when he sings really shows. I have three words more to say......."The Inner Circle". Ok I lied I got more to say. This album has one of the most intriguing concepts for me. If you have not dove in deep to the lyrics of this one I implore you to do so. Awesome band!

Cool Sonata Arctica - These guys have never made a bad song. Great Melodies! They have a song for everyone......they have slow songs, fast songs. They have sad songs and uplifting songs. They even have epic masterpieces (i.e. "White Pearl, Black Oceans"). This band is one of those that is everything that I wish most bands could be.

7) Angra -They have one of my favorite guitar duo's in Rafael and Kiko (man can that Kiko shred). I'll tell you though the main reason why they are in my top ten......."The Temple of Shadows". This CD is nothing less than a "masterpiece" (as Kailef said). If it was not for this CD I wouldn't have them in my ten thats for sure. Yeah "Rebirth" was awesome. "Aurora Consurgens" is rapidly growing on me and their work with Matos was solid, but........."ToS" is just one of those that puts a band over the mark for me. So they get the 7 spot.

6) Vision Divine - One of my personal favorites. Though they don't have as much work out as some of the others on this list, what they have put out has blew me away. At one point in my life I think I listened to "Stream of Conciousness" for like four months straight (in my truck, house, and even at work). This bands concept CD's are unmatched by few if any IMO. And I'd have to say that although I loved "SoC" I find it hard to say I like it better than "The Perfect Machine" (both so awesome). Their work with Michele in the band is just out of this world and I eagerly look forward to their newest "The 25th Hour" (which they are recording soon).

i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 05:59:53 am »

Part IV; The Finale:

5) Kamelot - Have created some of my favorite songs of all time. "The Black Halo" is one that cannot be descrbed in words. I don't know how big you all are on reading thew lyrics and trying to find the meaning of each song and the concept of a disc as a whole but this one is awesome. The lyrics are so dark along with the music. They also have one of my favorite frontmen in Roy Khan.

4) Rhapsody - One of the all time great singers in FABIO. Luca's creativeness and awesome song writing ability ceases to amaze me. This band is one of my first favorites from back when I first discovered this genre, and will always have a place high on my favorites list. Their early albums are my favorites but their newest works have been awesome as well.

3) Pagan's Mind - This band elevates the game to a whole new level. With only three albums out this band have made it into the official Fabio Top Five. I think we all know that I love Nils K. Rue on vocals. But the thing that makes this band so special is their unique sound. It sounds like they are from a bigger better world where it sometimes sounds like the beings from this other planet must have more than two hands and in the drummers case more than two feet too. The icing on the cake for this band is Viggo. Jorn Viggo's solos are probably one of the most beautiful things you will ever hear. He is just absolutely incredible. He know just when to rip and shred but also knows when to be patient during those ever beautiful melodic moments.

2) Lost Horizon - This is a band in which I cannot let go of. They are the reason I listen to this type of music. Their "Sworn in the Metal Winds" is what opened my eyes and ears to a whole 'nother world. A world full of great musicians and even better music. Also I don't think it is any secret that Daniel Heiman is my favorite vocalist of all time. His voice is just so fuckin' powerful. Their song structure and song transitions are flawless. I would die a happy man right now at the age of twenty-one if they got back together put out one more disc and played one live show for me. LH = Godly

1) Obviously you all know who is going to hit the #1 spot. The greatest band ever. All their CD's have been absolutely incredible. They have an all-star line-up including my favorite bassist of all time in Michael LePond. None others are even on the same playing field as SX. I'm not gonna go through all their CD's and tell you what I liked but let me say this instead......if someone were ever to ask me who my favorite band was I would have already said SX before the question was even finished. They are everything that is beautiful in this world. Allen is my second favorite vocalist behind Heiman. The Romeo and Pinella battles are unrivaled. And in my mind they could not continue on without he at the helm, The Jason Rullo.

SYMPHONY X = #1 band of all time.  Cool

Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 09:42:19 am »

I had to really wrestle with Symphony X and Angra to determine who would get the #1 spot.  It was only after a lot of thinking that I picked Angra, but maybe I was more aggressive than I should have been.  In restrospect, overall, Symphony X has overall made better music than Angra has.  I'm just swayed too much by Temple of Shadows, I think.  (So, guess which album is going to be my #1 album when I make that list? Uuuuummmm, gee, hard to guess, eh?)

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Prior
Post Rank 4

Bach, Vaughn-Williams , Therion: it's all good

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 09:56:33 am »

Hey Fabio, another great list, er, lists  Cheesy.   I'm glad you mentioned good old (emphasize old, as in early) Metallica.  Yes, they deserve a lot of kudos.  Also it's good to see you tipping the hat to Iron Maiden.  I agree with everything you say about Harris and company. There's not a band you list that I don't like (although I don't know much about Vision Divine and Pagan's Mind (yet) )  I've heard a bunch of Evergrey on prog rock internet and like what I've heard.
As to your number one: Symphony X... yeah, maybe I need to re-evaluate my listy. I own their Odyssey and V and think they're both stunningly good (especially that orchestral intro on Odyssey and the seamless way the whole piece fits together.  I got in to SX after being first introduced to Dream Theater (via 'Images and Words'; a great cd).  I think SX does everything Dream Theater does...only better. So yeah, I may have to re-evaluate.
Great list.  Ya done good Fabio
Prior
ps  Cellador is from (of all places) Nebraska... just up the road from Castle Prior  Cheesy

"If I ever die of a heart attack, I hope it will be from playing my stereo too loud"  -- Anonymous

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"
-- Robert Fripp
lucas_broom
Post Rank 3

Just call me Luca

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 12:24:31 pm »

Nice list Fab very impressive and I will have alot of the same bands in my list but in a different order. Not all the same of course though. Cool

My band will be named Pagans Gallery
amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 02:12:06 am »

Great list indeed, I used to listen to Metallica when I was starting to become a metal head. I still like some of their works from the "The Black", "And Justice for All", and "Master of Puppets" albums, but they started to decline from the "Load" onwards. I like the fact that Iron Maiden is on you list, as I was struggling to or not to put them in my list too. As I see from your list, you are more like a hard-core Power Metalist, rather than for example to be on some subgenres of the Power Metal, (like Symphonic Metal), as I'm clearly Grin . Nevertheless, I also enjoy lots of powerful and fast songs. I have to pay more attention to some of the bands you have mentioned there, like LH and Pagan's Mind, as obviously you have rated them really high.
Prior
Post Rank 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 01:58:22 am »

This is an interesting observation that you make Amir.  I too am leaning at this moment more towards the orchestral-symphonic Metal (Haggard, Therion) and the symphonic-female vocalist fronted Metal (Nightwish, Epica, After Forever) as my favorite kind of Metal.  But still, the plain Power stuff is still sooo goood.  
Thanks Kalief Cheesy  cause here, we can get it all.

"If I ever die of a heart attack, I hope it will be from playing my stereo too loud"  -- Anonymous

-- Robert Fripp
JayPeeG
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

Rocking out, one day at a time.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 02:47:24 pm »

I won't comment too much on Fabio's list here since that would give too much information away before I make up my own top 10 list.  I'll just stick at saying "Great List" for now and I'll have to check some of those bands out as well.  I've never heard anything from Pagan's Mind yet, for example.

~ Powerquest makes me want to grow a mullet and drive a Trans-Am.   - Creed
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 05:12:53 pm »

Awesome Jay! I look forward to seeing your list and I implore you to check out any bands on my list that you have not already. All of these bands are fuckin' great.  Cool

amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 06:18:19 pm »

Yeppy Prior, Symphonic metal rulz Grin , which albums from Therion, Epica, and After Forever do you have currently Prior?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:59:10 pm by amirsaffari » Logged
Prior
Post Rank 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 11:01:06 am »

Well now I have to hang my head and say "I don't own any Epica or After Forever (yet).  BUT... the songs by them that I hear here at ERR I love.

I do own Therion's:   Voivin, Deggial, Crowning of Atlantis,  Theli, Secret of the Runes, Lemuria/Sirius B,
I also have all of Nightwish except their first cd.
It's a start  Cool

-- Robert Fripp
amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 07:45:20 pm »

way cool Prior, you almost have done it Grin , and yes, Kailef has a few albums from Epica and After Forever here on ERR, and they are great too.
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 01:12:37 pm »

Here she is.  Wink

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: