gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2020, 06:57:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2007 ALBUM OF THE YEAR  (Read 5991 times)
Sun_dance
Post Rank 1

View Profile Email
« on: December 13, 2007, 09:08:46 am »

Hey Guys,

I think it's time to start listing the very best Metal has given us this year. Only thing that's still missing is Priest's "Nostradamus", but i don't think it would change my list. So, for what it's worth, here goes Sundance's Top 10 for 2007 :

10. Scorpions - Humanity : Hour 1 - A concept album by this oldies?? Yep! And the very best songs they've recorded since "Blackout" (1982). No excuses, it's my weak point. I like the band and i'm not ready to shoot myself in the head, so.... Smiley
Highlights : Hour 1; We will rise again; The Cross; Humanity

09. At Vance - VII - Well, we got a little faster and a little heavier now. But not that much Smiley Very good album for At Vance (met them here at ERR). A simple handover of the mic to Mr.Altzi turned a fairly good band into something really great. Masterplan in the place of Masterplan if you ask me (though i miss Grapow in here...)
Highlights : Shiver; Friendly Fire; Answer Me

08. Mystic Prophecy - Satanic Rituals - What can i say, this yankees don't know how to make a weak song. Not as good as "Savage Souls" which stands as their best, IMO. Anyway they proved with "Savage..." they could do it without Gus and "Satanic Rituals" just confirms that idea.
Highlights : Dark Forces; Demon's Blood; Rock the night; Paranoid (Sabath cover)

07. After Forever - After Forever - Ok, finally After Forever reached their full potential. A great album in its entirety. Of course they have always given us very good songs. But this is their first "no fillers" effort IMO.
Highlights : Evoke; Energize me; Who am i

06. Amorphis - Silent Waters - How can a fantastic Death Metal Band become a magnificent Heavy Metal Band ? This are the guys with the answer. Guess whatever they do, they do it better than average. Of course a new great,great,great singer helps...
Highlights : Weaving the encantation; Silent Waters; Her alone; I of Crimson Blood; Black River

05. Moonspell - Silver Eye - This is a compilation! But how many times did you thought about a best of and conclude you would change NOTHING!? That's the case, so this one is clearly one of the best releases of the year. OMG this is a portuguese band... so hard to believe! Portugal rocks! (by the way, check out Heavenwood, niiice).
Highlights : Full Moon Madness; Opium; Alma mater; Soulsick; Capricorn at her feet; Luna

04. Helloween - Gambling With the Devil - I took a few years to recover from Kiske's departure i confess. But once i dug into the "new" Heloween i got hooked again. "Dark Ride" is one of the best power metal albums ever. "Keeper III" is very good also, but with a few fillers alongside with some of the Pumpkin's very best songs. This "Gambling with the Devil" is a magnificent opus. Full of melody and uptempo riffs. Weikath plays at his very best and Teris is one hell of a great songwritter. And he does his singing job quite well too. Neverthless, i can't help dreaming of this songs with Kiske...
Highlights : The Saints; As long as i fall; The Bells of the 7 hells; Heaven tells no lies

03. Kamelot - Ghost Opera - How can this fellows do it each time better than the last? I thought they reached their peak with "Black Halo". I was wrong. This is one step further. An absolute classic in Metal history.
Highlights : Ghost Opera; The Human Stain; Love You to Death (sadest song ever written alongside with DTheater's "Take away my pain"); Anthem

02. Dragonland - Astronomy - By the way, this is the best 2006 album from 2007 Smiley Even if the release is dated from 2006, i only grabed this one in 2007 and i could not resist to say to you all that "Astronomy" is a masterpiece of our so loved music. Glory to the Dragons. Great musicians playing wonderfull songs. This guys do not let their amazing skills pull the songs under. On the contrary, like everybody should do, those skills "serve" the songs. The result is one of the best albums ever recorded.
Highlights : No highlights, the whole thing is a masterpiece.

ALBUM OF THE YEAR : NIGHTWISH - DARK PASSION PLAY - No better way to put an end to the blabber talk than release the best metal album of 2007! Don't loose a minute discussing if Tarja is missed or if Aneke is more of a rocker. It doesn't really matter. What Nightwish were with Tarja they are no more. And, surprise,surprise, that's not bad! Of course i can't figure Aneke singing "Sleeping Sun" or "Everdream". Just as i can't imagine Tarja doing "Byebye Beautiful" or "Sahara". To keep it short : "DPP" is, at least, as good as "Once" or "Century Child". So, once again, the Wish keeps us in awe!
Highlights : None as well. Don't miss a single note!

PS - Sonata's "Unia" sucks Smiley in case you didn't read it before...

Keep rockin'
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 03:02:30 pm »

2007 releases that i purchased ranked from most enjoyed....

1) Symphony X "Paradise Lost"
2) Darkwater "calling the Earth to Witness"
3) Andromeda (DVD) "Playing off the Board"
4) Sonata Arctica "Unia"
5) Dream Theater "Sytematic Chaos"
5.5)Nightwish "Dark Passion Play"
6) Pagan's Mind "God's Equation"
7) Dragonland "Astronomy"
Cool Vision Divine "The 25th Hour"
9) Iced Earth "Framing Armageddon"
10) Rishloo "Eidolon"
11) Kamelot "Ghost Opera"
12) Megadeth "United Abominations"
13) Machine Head "The Blackening"
14) Thought Chamber "Angular Perceptions"
15) Dethklok "The Dethalbum"

Still some from 2007 that i know i HAVE to get....

Therion "Gothic Kabbalah"
Spheric Universe Experience "Anima"
Sieges Even "Paramount"
Threshold "Dead Reckoning"
Circus Maximus "Isolate"                                   GOT IT!
Raintime "Flies and Lies"
Dimmu Borgir "In Sorte Diabli"
Iron Savior "Megatropolis"
Blotted Science "The Machinations of Dementia"
Sun Caged "Artemisia"

A Few From 2007 that i am on the ropes about (i haven't really heard enough to know if i HAVE to get them...but i think i want them....what do YOU think of them?)

Porcupine Tree "Fear of a Blanket"
After Forever "After Forever"
Epica "The Divine Conspiracy"
Redemption "The Origins of Ruin"
Rush "Snake and Arrows"
Suspyre "A Great Divide"
Labyrinth "6 Days to Nowhere"
Riverside "Rapid Eye Movement"
Nocturnal Rites "The 8th Sin"
Three "The End is Begun"
Pathosray "Pathosray"
Anubis Gate "Andromeda Unchained"
Amorphis "Silent Waters"
DGM "Different Shapes"
Poverty's No Crime "Save My Soul"
Pain of Salvation "Scarsick"
Allen/Lande "The Revenge"
Fair to Midland "Fables and Dreams"
Eyefear "A World Full of Grey"

And Here are some of the releases in which crossed my mind at one point and i just forgot about them due to lack of funds and interest....should i have?

Andre Matos "Time to Be Free"
Ride the Sky "New Protection"
Dark Tranquility "Fiction"
Manowar "Gods of War"
Manticora "The Black Circus Pt. 2"
Primal Fear "New Religion"
Helloween "Gambling With the Devil"
Machine Men "Circus of Fools"
Pink Cream 69 "In10sity"
Symphorce "Become Death"
Devin Townsend "Ziltoid the Omniscient"
Tarot "Crows Fly Back"
Amaran's Plight "A Voice in the Light"
Serenity "Words Unspoken and Dreams Unlived"                     GOT IT!
Mystic Prophecy "Satanic Rituals"

Feel free to comment on anything i listed above, i would appreciate it actually.  Wink  I really would like to see if i missed anything great from 2007. My top 16 are the only 2007 releases i picked up. So those in the lists below are in my mind potential buys. Let me know what you think.

By the way....nice topic Sun_Dance. i've been thinking about this lately and i'm glad you started it. And again...."Unia" is Great!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 04:22:28 am by i_am_fabio » Logged

"If There Is Life After Death, There Is No Death
  And If Death Does Not Exist, We Do Not Live"
Sun_dance
Post Rank 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 03:58:40 pm »

Hey Fabio,

You won't regret grabbing Helloween. And yes, you must have "Gothic Kabala", not as good as, lets say, "Vovin", but Therion anyway!

I am also wondering about Sun Caged...

Keep rockin'
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 05:05:09 pm »

Hey Fabio,

You won't regret grabbing Helloween. And yes, you must have "Gothic Kabala", not as good as, lets say, "Vovin", but Therion anyway!

I am also wondering about Sun Caged...

This should make you stop wondering.  Wink http://www.myspace.com/suncaged Just listen to it and you can't resist. Great Stuff! I look forward to picking it up one day.

And thanks for the Helloween suggestion.  Wink

Sun_dance
Post Rank 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 03:16:23 am »

So many great bands, such good stuff. Can't have it all though...

After Forever and Epica released, IMO, their best so far. Personally i don't like the new Manowar. Nocturnal Rites are sweeet.

Anyway, you're more into progressive than me (must be the age... i tend to get bored Smiley )

Keep rockin'
mojobie
ERR Champion
Post Rank 4

That's my new race bike.

mojobie@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 07:14:51 am »

Well, from what I've gotten this year (unfortunately, not as much as I would have liked to get, but hey, that's the way it goes), I've liked it all. My favorite (so far) though would probably have to be:

Symphony X - "Paradise Lost"

Followed closely by (and in no particular order):

Dream Theater - "Systematic Chaos"
Kamelot - "Ghost Opera"
Megadeth - "United Abominations"

I didn't see Rob Rock's "Garden of Chaos" on your list there fabio, I've heard it was really good (I just haven't been able to pick it up yet).
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 11:51:40 am »

Your right Mojobie!  Cheesy I will add that to my master list of discs to check out. I have liked some of the other stuff i have heard from Rob Rock, i had forgotten that he had released a new disc. Here i was able to hear two tracks from "Garden of Chaos", http://www.myspace.com/robrock1. The tune 'Only a Matter of Time' sounded pretty good.   Cool

poison girl
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 01:43:31 am »

Symphony X, Threshold and Lana LAne albums for me Tongue
Joe the Tech
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

Performing digital miracles.

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 11:41:49 am »

I'm gonna have to agree with Paradise Lost being the years best album.  It's so good that I'm going to do what I've been wanting to do for a long time and go see Symphony X in concert when they come to Oregon in April.  It'll be my first concert ever (yes, I know that's sad at 24).
amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 01:49:02 pm »

Well Joe, it's not that bad, I went my first metal concert at 26 Wink
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 10:05:23 pm »

I'm gonna have to agree with Paradise Lost being the years best album.  It's so good that I'm going to do what I've been wanting to do for a long time and go see Symphony X in concert when they come to Oregon in April.  It'll be my first concert ever (yes, I know that's sad at 24).

That will be a hell of a way to start your concert going career. SX owns live. It's even better than on disc....if that's possible. And i guarantee that if Russell Allen is not your favorite singer right now......he will be. He's a GOD!!! I have had the pleasure of seeing SX live twice and both times i was in awe of how great they were. Hopefully you can report back to us with a recap of the night. I'd love to hear wht you thought.  Cool

JayPeeG
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

Rocking out, one day at a time.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 09:41:20 pm »

I want to attend Symphony X when they come to Quebec this fall as well.  Wich reminds me, one of my friends asked me if I wanted to go with him, I'll have to talk this over with him again really soon if we want tickets.

~ Powerquest makes me want to grow a mullet and drive a Trans-Am.   - Creed
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: