gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2019, 01:01:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Post your PC  (Read 13779 times)
Joe the Tech
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

Performing digital miracles.

View Profile Email
« on: February 12, 2008, 12:02:45 pm »

A conversation with Oseriduun got me thinking about this.  Since I love seeing other people's rigs, I thought I'd start a thread for pictures of them.  I'll start with my own pride and joy.  P.S. This is an old synopsis of the case I've taken off of another site I posted it on.

Here are some pictures of the case mod I did for myself over Christmas.  Now, bare in mind that the original plan was to make this thing look Fallout-y.  The other goal was to make this thing look as ugly as physically possible.  I know I achieved at least the latter.  Unfortunately, instead of looking like a piece of pre-war tech, it ended up looking like rusty piece of old industrial equipment (my roommate likens it to a D8 Caterpillar), not exactly a failure in my mind.  So, without further ado:

All of the black and yellow striping is done with electrical tape.  I think it turned out fairly well.

Here we have one of the unfinished parts of the mod.  I still have yet to build a new metal faceplate for the case to replace the plastic one.  The power and reset buttons have been replaced.  The power was replaced with that fashionable vehicle ignition (yes, it really does work and if I lose those keys I'll have to hot-wire my own computer to turn it on).  The reset was replaced with a more industrial looking one.  That circular meter you see was salvaged from an old geiger-counter (the meter "reads" in Rads/hour) and is hooked up to the HDD LED so as to register hard drive activity.  It will be mounted into the new faceplate.

And here are the sides of the case.  That fan grill on the see-through side will eventually be replaced with this, which will also be modified by having the mesh removed and replaced with horizontal, downward facing slats.
Oseriduun
ERR Staff
Post Rank 4

Canadian Code Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 01:04:48 pm »

wow, nice case mod Smiley

can't say i can come anywhere close to that, but here's my comp.. also have a few friends comp's over at the time of these photos (now, lol.) so i snapped one of the comp area (living room)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=28680&l=1fc99&id=514202476

CCM: Canadian Code Monkey.
Its not just a bike manufacturer anymore Tongue
amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 12:57:57 am »

WOW, what a nice rig, well, being a computer lover, it's a shame for me not to have such a moded case. However, I'm a fan of desktop beauty, so here is how my desktop now looks like Wink Hope you all like it.

Oseriduun
ERR Staff
Post Rank 4

Canadian Code Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 05:41:22 am »

nice linux desktop, what window manager do you use amir? (and what linux build for that matter lol. its been awhile, but last i tried was kubuntu, but had issues with my vid card so i had to go back to windows) :/

Joe the Tech
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 10:36:18 am »

Hmm, looks to me like it's definitely some form of Debian, probably Ubuntu or Kubuntu with Compiz or Beryl maybe.  Either way, that is a great desktop arrangement.  What size display have you got there, Amir?  Also, Oseriduun, your computer is very dirty.  Nice wall scroll, by the way.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 10:40:13 am by Joe the Tech » Logged
amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 01:04:20 pm »

Hey Joe, what a surprise, you got it right, it's ubuntu + compiz fusion Wink it's very nice to see people out here actually know what Linux is Grin it makes me feel good Smiley ,

And I have a 1280x1024 resolution on that desktop.
Oseriduun
ERR Staff
Post Rank 4

Canadian Code Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 01:24:22 pm »

Also, Oseriduun, your computer is very dirty.  Nice wall scroll, by the way.

yes, it is a tiny bit dirty in there, the cabling has a black mesh on it though, so what you see on the cables is not dust bunnies hehe.

as for wall scrolls, i got 1 .hack//sign (as seen in the pics) i also have 2x Rurouni Kenshin wall scrolls.  (i also have 4 books from the Ai Yori Aoshi manga) Smiley

i wanted to pick up more wallscrolls, but the place i bought these at went outta business Sad

Joe the Tech
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 02:43:22 pm »

Actually, Amir, the company I work for specializes in building Linux based PCs for people.  You should check out my website when you get a chance.  It's not the best in the world, but I'm always working on it.  Also, I meant "How big is your monitor?"  Tongue
amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 12:40:48 am »

Very nice, I checked your website, really nice job you are doing, congratulation and wish you good luck. As I said it's always nice to see people using, developing, or promoting Linux.

And my monitor is a 19" LCD monitor, which I use it with that 1280x1024 resolution.
atlantis
Post Rank 5

realityequation.net

livatlantis
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 08:09:56 am »

I was on Ubuntu for some time, Mandrake before and had a little fling with Red Hat (when Fedora was only just starting, I think).

But now I'm on a Mac. Grin

reality equation of infinite variables
http://www.realityequation.net/
poison girl
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 07:43:40 am »

Hooray, I can post my 3 PC's Grin

Only, boys, could you tell me how I can restore deteted file from Adobe?

JtT, my 1-st was...198... - can't remember, but I'm looking it I feel like in 'LOST' film Tongue
trekman
Post Rank 4

CRANK IT UP!!

no1trekman2002 no1trekman2002
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 06:03:57 pm »

WOW, what a nice rig, well, being a computer lover, it's a shame for me not to have such a moded case. However, I'm a fan of desktop beauty, so here is how my desktop now looks like Wink Hope you all like it.

Ok, I have to ask. What is that little ERR pic/gif thingy below the ERR now playing page? It looks pretty cool. Wink

Joe the Tech
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 07:29:45 pm »

Looks like a media player to me.
amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 11:37:25 am »

Yes it's a media player called: Beep-Media-Player , it's a clone of XMMS which itself is very similar to WinAmp. And of course like both XMMS and WinAmp you can change it's skin Wink
Oseriduun
ERR Staff
Post Rank 4

Canadian Code Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 07:48:28 pm »

*revives this thread*

i've recently bought a new pc, been tweaking it for weeks now, and here is the results..

note that this runs at 1.475vcore, cpu is rated for 1.25 - 1.35, the overvoltage is required to maintain my oc, but it is rock stable, and runs pretty cool compared to how hot you would think it gets.

early pictures are from the original build, as you get through the pics, the 'newer' ones will show the mods i've had to do after replacing the hsf.  i'll eb replacing the ram next month with some sweet sticks from mushkin, and still need to add parts next year (tax time = computer completion date.).

To show off the work i've done, here's the CPU ID Validation Link
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=404885

The Specs:

|-> CPU: AMD Athlon64 x2 5000+ B.E. (2.6GHz [200x13] Stock) @ 3.360 GHz (240x14)
 |-> HT: 960MHz (800MHz stock, can support over 1k though)
 |-> RAM: OCZ XTC Plat. Rev2 : DDR2-800 @ 960MHz (5-5-5-15, rated for 4-4-4-15 at stock speeds)
 |-> Video: Visiontek Radeon HD 4870 (512mb GDDR5: 790MHz Core / 1090MHz Mem Clocks)
 |-> Mobo: DFI Lanparty DK 790FX-M2RS
 |-> HSF: OCZ Vendetta2
 |-> Case: Antec 900 (all fan slots filled) (2x 120mm Antec 3-Speed 'wind-tunnel' to the cpu, 1x 120mm back-exhaust, 1x 120mm lower-intake (front) 1x 200mm top exhaust)
 |-> PSU: OCZ GamerXstream 700w

and now on to the pictures!

http://my.oseriduun.com/MyComp/

sorry for the sizes, and lack of proper naming conventions.

but this is the new box in a nut-shell.

future upgrades include
swapping ram to 2x 4gb kits from Mushkin (Mushkin Ascent, 5-5-5-15 ddr2-1066)
swapping cpu to Phenom x4 9950 BE.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: