gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 10:42:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sonata Arctica Show! Feb. 16th Orangevale, California  (Read 4783 times)
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2008, 11:05:04 pm »

Alright here is my review of the show. I haven't had time until now to tell you all about it, so here it goes......

There were about five of us who met up for the show at a central location and played a little poker before the show....threw back a few brews and just listened to good music. Among those five, three of them regular in the shout box, Luca, Maestro and myself. Here are a couple photo's of the pre-show poker game:

Here's one of me....

On the left that is our new concert going friend (his first "real" metal show was this night) and that is Luca on the right....

Then we got headed to the venue where we met many other friends, new and old. I met MBH or Metal Bed Head for the first time. Cool to meet another fellow ERR'er at a show near me. The first two bands were local bands i think and they were both equally bad. I spent their sets near the bar:

again that's me on the left

And so did Luca....

Then Sonata Came........AND BLEW US AWAY!!!! They put on a great show covering material from each disc. I'll try and list what i remember them playing (not in any particular order.....maybe someone else can remember the order better) by disc:

"Unia": 'Paid in Full', 'Black and White', 'Caleb' and 'The Worlds Forgotten'

"Reckoning Night": 'Don't Say a Word' and 'Shamandalie'

"Winterhearts Guild": 'Victoria's Secret', 'The Cage' and 'Gravenimage'

"Silence": 'Black Sheep'

"Ecliptica": 'Full Moon' and '8th Commandment'

Well i think that's it. As you can see a pretty good setlist, although they did leave out a few of my favorite SA songs. Tony sounded great! The guitarist nailed mostly everything and was much more into it than the last time i saw them. The keyboardist seemed way out of it though. Overall it was a fun show. I did alot of singing along and rocking out! Very awesome show! As i would expect nothing less. Let's just hope next time they bring a band along with them that will be worth getting to the show early for.

The Highlight's for me were: 'Caleb', 'Don't Say a Word' and 'Shamandalie'.....with 'Full Moon' being up there as well. Also seeing almost 15 people that i know at the show. That was awesome! Great times once again! Here are the rest of the pictures from the show.....(thanks to Maestro for taking a few, as i failed to do it):

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 11:24:31 pm by i_am_fabio » Logged

"If There Is Life After Death, There Is No Death
  And If Death Does Not Exist, We Do Not Live"
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 11:18:06 pm »

And here are a couple more pictures featuring some ERR'ers at the show....

From left to right: "i_am_hatecrew", "Pagan" and "Maestro"

And one more, from left to right: "MBH" or "Metal Bed Head", "Maestro" and "i_am fabio"

Oseriduun
ERR Staff
Post Rank 4

Canadian Code Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:16:50 am »

yeah, sanctity wasn't that good, i dont know if you had different bands playing for ya but i know sanctity was travelling with sonata.

during the london show the keyboardist really seemed out of it too, but we kinda figured it was more because they had him cramped up in a corner where he had to walk around a pole to go from mic w/ standup-synth to the full keys..

love the s.x shirt luca! hehe

nice pics guys.... wonder what show everyone plans to hit next hehe..

CCM: Canadian Code Monkey.
Its not just a bike manufacturer anymore Tongue
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:39:08 am »

Totally awesome that so many of you were able to get together for the concert.  It makes me feel all warm and evil inside.   Grin

(We ought to have T-Shirts ready for the next time you guys go to a concert too, heh, heh...)

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Oseriduun
ERR Staff
Post Rank 4

Canadian Code Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 10:15:27 am »

did tony turn you into a drum kit? Tongue

Joe the Tech
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

Performing digital miracles.

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 12:56:35 pm »

Oh, that reminds me:  I totally need to order an ERR shirt before I head to the Symphony X concert.  Do they come in extra fat?
Metal Bed Head

[M][B][H]

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 05:26:16 pm »

did tony turn you into a drum kit? Tongue

he sure did!

Eat. Sleep. Metal.
amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 11:55:15 pm »

Holy shit, you guys had lots of fun out there, *me wanting to get to any power metal concert anytime soon Sad*
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 01:13:33 am »

yeah, sanctity wasn't that good, i dont know if you had different bands playing for ya but i know sanctity was travelling with sonata.

during the london show the keyboardist really seemed out of it too, but we kinda figured it was more because they had him cramped up in a corner where he had to walk around a pole to go from mic w/ standup-synth to the full keys..

love the s.x shirt luca! hehe

nice pics guys.... wonder what show everyone plans to hit next hehe..

I wish Sanctity had played.  Shocked They would have sounded like freaking Symphony X compared to the bands we had to sit through.  Grin Honestly though i have seen Sanctity before and thought they were pretty solid. Nothing spectacular but not a bad opener if you ask me. Played some pretty good stuff and believe me, wayyyyyyyy better than what we got.  Wink

As for the keyboardist....  Undecided Kinda weird that he would be so out of it at both shows.....i mean here he didn't have a ton of room to roam either, but you would think that he would expect that on a N.A. tour.

And yep, killer Symphony X shirt there Luca.  Cool

Next show for me will be Symphony X in April.....i think. I'll have to double check......there is some sort of death metal concert coming up that a guy at work is trying to get me to go with him too. I might just go along if i can get him to agree to go to SX in April.  Wink Because you and i know that once he see's that, he'll be hooked!  Grin

Oseriduun
ERR Staff
Post Rank 4

Canadian Code Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 03:03:36 pm »

hehe, what i heard from sanctity in london, i didn't like at all.  i can be pretty picky with my music at times, and they just sounded like noise.

i really want to see S.X myself, but with how things are going so far, i dont think i'll be able to.  i'm knockin on wood though, i really want to see them (and pick up some swag to hang on my wall with the SA shirt, and the TSO shirt.) Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: