gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2019, 03:50:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Favorite Masterminds  (Read 4502 times)
Guidrummist
Post Rank 4

Yes, those drums are made of cheese.

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:03:11 pm »

This is about the guys (or gals, as the case may be) behind it all. The ones who write all the music and lyrics for a large quantity of a band's output.

10. Joakim Bordén- The lead singer for Sabaton has provided them with the bulk of their material to date, and has done quite a good job of it.
9. Andre Andersen- Is Royal Hunt cheesy? Absolutely. Is Royal Hunt thoroughly enjoyable? Thanks to keyboardist/songwriter Andre Andersen, yes.
8. Yngwie Malmsteen- Sure, many of his songs are in an identical neo-baroque-meets-power-metal-style, but they're consistently enjoyable vehicles to showcase his fantastic guitar playing.
7. Richard Andersson- Although, like Yngwie, originality has never been his strong suit, Andersson has written a large number of thoroughly  competent songs for his bands Majestic, Space Odyssey, and Time Requiem.
6. Tuomas Holopainen- Nightwish has some great music, and he's written nearly all of it.
5. Magnus Karlsson- Not only has this guitarist managed to assemble all-star lineups for such projects as Allen/Lande and Planet Alliance, he's also written some mighty fine songs for them, too.
4. Tony Kakko- In 10 years and 5 full-length studio albums with Sonata Arctica, there's only one song in their oeuvre of originals that he didn't compose. I don't think I need to point out to anyone here how many classic tracks that means he's got under his belt.
3. Steve Harris- If anyone were to have written any of Iron Maiden's albums Iron Maiden, Killers, or The Number of the Beast, that would be enough to deserve a spot on here. The fact that he wrote all three (and continued to be a major contributor of music to the band thereafter) cements his legacy as one of greatness, if not exactly a wide stylistic range.
2.Tobias Sammet- As the sole writer of Avantasia, and the writer who contributes the vast majority of music and lyrics to Edguy, Tobias has shown versatility and consistent quality.
1. Arjen Anthony Lucassen- with 6 concept albums (most of them 2 CDs long) as Ayreon, and another as Star One, Lucassen has firmly established himself as a leader in both quantity and quality of work. The fact that it's also spanned a variety of styles from folk to power metal to space rock and beyond certainly doesn't hurt his qualifications either. In addition to these projects where he's behind everything, he's also collaborated on the writing as a member of Ambeon and Stream of Passion (neither of which would be out of place on ERR, despite not being here at the time of writing).

Paranoia is the only rational approach to a conspiracy world.
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 04:16:13 am »

Cool idea for a list! I'll have to think about this one a bit.......

"If There Is Life After Death, There Is No Death
  And If Death Does Not Exist, We Do Not Live"
~V~
Lead Administrator
Post Rank 5

Epic-Rock-Radio-V@live.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 04:06:16 pm »

That was not only interesting but what a great idea!
Thanks Guidrummist!

EPIC ROCK RADIO, where metal, is the way it should be!
https://www.facebook.com/EpicRockRadioVee
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 01:39:54 am »

Well, i'll just name a few of my favorites each time i visit the boards.....this way eventually i'll list enough to compose a list and then rank them.  Grin

Nicolas van Dyk (Redemption) - The two Redemption albums that feature Ray Alder on vocals are two of my all time favorite discs! The lyrics on these albums are the most powerful and meaningful words i've ever had the pleasure of reading/hearing. And the music is nothing less than amazing!

Finn Zierler (Beyond Twilight) - Has created three amazing albums under the namd Beyond Twilight. Progressive Metal Masterpieces!! Some of the most creative music that these ears enjoy!  Cool

Michael Romeo (Do i need to say it....SX!) - Amazing! I don't think i need to talk disc by disc about some of the great pieces he has composed over the years. Truly a great mind in progressive music! 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 03:30:20 pm by i_am_fabio » Logged

"If There Is Life After Death, There Is No Death
  And If Death Does Not Exist, We Do Not Live"
lucas_broom
Post Rank 3

Just call me Luca

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 07:11:29 pm »

i dont have time this second for a long winded post but i want to get luca turrili on this list while im thinkin about it.

My band will be named Pagans Gallery
Absinthe
ERR Champion
Post Rank 2

Kaos_Deth@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 01:18:50 pm »

Perfect list, couldn't agree more.

"...I can't wait for the afterlife to take me by the neck, and into the forsaken places i have never been..."
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: