gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2019, 01:57:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Guid's Top 10 Metal Albums  (Read 3570 times)
Guidrummist
Post Rank 4

Yes, those drums are made of cheese.

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2009, 06:09:02 am »

Although most of these albums are of bands that can be found on Epic Rock Radio, my tastes in metal are just a bit more varied than that. Leaving off other genres has made this list much more manageable.

10: Star One- Live on Earth
Arjen Lucassens happy band of misfits (with Robert Soeterboek replacing Dan Swano, and Irene Jansen helping out her sister on harmonized parts) takes the stage and delivers a set of Star One and Ayreon tracks that sound so alive and have made the only live album I've ever heard that made me feel like I was actually at the concert.

9: Falconer- Among Beggars and Thieves
The only 2008 release to make my list masterfully combines power metal, prog-rock, and folk music. Mathias Blad sounds the best he ever has, whether in English or Swedish.

8: Sonata Arctica- Reckoning Night
This masterpieces balance classic uptempo headbangers ( especially "Misplaced" "Ain't Your Fairytale" and "Wildfire") with an excellent
assortment of ballads ("Shamandalie"), proggy epics ("White Pearl, Black Oceans") and mid-tempo rockers ("Blinded No More"). The combination of diversity and quality makes this Sonata's finest hour.

7: Dream Theater- Metropolis, pt. 2 - Scenes From a Memory
This outstanding concept album is an excellent treatise on how to make prog-rock and prog-metal engaging for the whole 75-minute listen and sophisticated without devolving into pointless self-indulgent wankery.

6: Myrath- Hope
In 2007, these Tunisian prog/power metallers made good on their promise to combine the styles of their two favorite bands, Symphony X and Adagio, with the music of their homeland. The result was better than I could've imagined without hearing it first. This CD should be required listening for everyone reading this.

5: Iron Maiden- Powerslave
The only Maiden album on which I consider every single track to be a classic. "2 Minutes to Midnight" is an especially significant track as it's the band's first classic, timeless tune not to have been penned by Steve Harris.

4: Megadeth- Rust in Peace
If you're looking for thrash that has grown into social consciousness and music that transcends the subgenre's "faster, louder, harder" creed for its own sake, look no further.

3: Mastodon- Leviathan
A concept album based on Melville's Moby Dick being played by some guys who seem hellbent on combining melodic-death metal with  country, prog-rock/metal, and southern rock? This album is far better than that sounds like it has any right to be. The lyrics are pure imagist poetry, the riffs are as deep and swirling as the seas themselves, and you will not find a metal album with a more creative and exciting use of a drumset. Somehow, Brann Dailor seems to solo through the entire album, while still complementing the rest of the music  perfectly.

2: Death- Symbolic
This is everything that nobody ever expected a death metal album to be. Finally proving that intelligent lyrics, distinctive sonic stylings, unique song structures, and an acoustic guitar solo can all happily coexist in metal's most brutal subgenre without diminishing its intensity, Chuck Schuldiner made his ultimate testament of genius with this album.

1: Symphony X- The Odyssey
Every song is engaging, memorable, and downright breathtaking. Every musician is a master at his craft. Every story is an entertaining one, whether from a classic text (such as Poe's "The Pit and the Pendulum" or the Homer epic that the title track is based on), a classic trope (The avenging knight of "Accolade II" or the werewolf of "The Turning"), or something else. The pomp and complexity seem to buoy the music and lift it up, rather than bogging it down, as can all-too-easily happen in progressive metal. This is an album that does everything right, and I am bold enough to feel that if you don't like at least 5 of the album's 8 tracks, then neither Prog-Metal nor Power Metal is really your thing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 06:10:33 am by Guidrummist » Logged

Paranoia is the only rational approach to a conspiracy world.
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 05:25:46 am »

I plan on laying down some comments about your list as well Guid. For now i better get some sleep, but expect to see some great thoughts within 24 hours.  Cheesy

"If There Is Life After Death, There Is No Death
  And If Death Does Not Exist, We Do Not Live"
Guidrummist
Post Rank 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:02:50 pm »

Cool. I'm looking forward to it  Wink

Also, here's an assortment of honorable mentions:

Ayreon- The Human Equation
Unexpect- In a Flesh Aquarium
Evergrey- Recreation Day
Into Eternity- The Scattering of Ashes
O.S.I.- Office of Strategic Influence
Allen/Lande- The Battle
Derek Sherinian- Mythology
Spheric Universe Experience- Mental Torments

i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 04:42:51 am »

Star One "Live on Earth" - I can appreciate what your saying about feeling like your at the show while listening. That is a sign of a great live album....otherwise what's the point of one? I may have to pick this one up eventually. I have seen some live videos on youtube and enjoyed those. I'll keep my eye out for it and let you know if i get it and what i thought after giving it a few spins.

Falconer "Among Beggars and Thieves" - Like i said in Kailef's top ten list thread, a great album no doubt. Production makes this one the best sounding Falconer album to me. Although admittedly i don't own all of their efforts. But i felt this one lacked the beautiful moments that i found in a few of the other works, thus keeping it from instantly becoming my favorite from them. I will say that this album rocks pretty hard. I was really pleasently surprised. I figured there would be a few great tracks and a few mediocre ones.....not the case. A solid album that deserves it's praise.

Sonata Arctica "Reckoning Night" - Another great album. And although i don't feel the need to pop this one in regularly like i used to, i can just look at the track listing and remember why i used to listen to it so often. As you said, it has it all. A great chioce that while i don't think it would be in my top ten, it certainly is a favorite of mine.

Dream Theater "SFaM" - Great album. Agree that it keeps you interested the whole 75 minutes. Although i do have to say i enjoy some pointless wankery now and then.  Grin  But maybe not for a concept album where the musical story could be interrupted by some pointless showing off that doesn't really let the story unfold with the music. If that made sense....

Myrath "Hope" - Haven't gotten the chance to check this one out yet. But it is at the top of my personal wish list. So hopefully i can discuss it with some sort of intelligence very soon.

Iron Maiden "Powerslave" - Very Nice! This is my favorite Maiden album as well. It was really the first epic metal cassette i ever received. Every tune is awesome. Lately i've been listening to 'The Duelists' at least once a week. A true classic. And nice little trivia there about the first big hit not written by SH.....did not know that.  Cool

Megadeth "Rust in Peace" - Yep, great disc. i just got myself a new copy of this a couple months back. I enjoy alot of older Megadeth stuff and will say that this is among the best of it's kind.

Mastodon "Leviathan" - Very interested in this. I've actually heard a few tracks and was always very curious about the sound. Maybe i just need to buy it and give it a full listen.

Death "Symbolic" - When i was first getting into metal i really loved some Death stuff. Since then i've lost track of whatever albums i had. Maybe this will be something i will need to look into next time i'm in a more metal mood.

Symphony X "The Odyssey" - You said it perfectly. Agree really on all points. I'm gonna revisit this album this weekend for sure. This was one of the first albums i ever bought after getting into these genre back when it was first released in 2003. I remember i had to 'unleash the fiiiirrrreeee' on all of my friends all the time. I was installing floors at the time and we had to have listened to this album for a couple weeks straight about twice a day on the job. 'The Odyssey' may just be my favorite track ever made. And with the rest of the album to back it up it's hard to make an arguement against it. So i won't.  Smiley

"If There Is Life After Death, There Is No Death
  And If Death Does Not Exist, We Do Not Live"
Guidrummist
Post Rank 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 06:48:42 am »

Some interesting insights, Fabio. In regard to your feeling about the Falconer album not having as many pretty moments as on other albums of theirs, I have to disagree. I think there are just as many in there, but they are spread out over the course of the entire album, rather than, for instance, having most of them in one tearjerking ballad. I like this distribution of them, as I feel it reflects the drama of the songs and lyrical themes dealt with on the album. A perfect example of this is "Dreams and Pyres" where the music starts out gorgeous, and only gets heavier when the intensity of the drama is ratcheted up in the lyrics, and when there are moments of peace, calm, and rationality, the music goes in that direction too.

As for the Star One live set, most of it is indeed on YouTube, and you can check out a lot of it there and decide whether you're interested, but it does miss some wonderful moments in the couple of songs that are too long to fit into YouTube clips. Most especially prominent of these is "The Two Gates" which has a long section in the middle where they break from the narration so Russell Allen can introduce the band, and he does a heck of a job at it  Grin

If you're interested in the Mastodon disc, I can't say very much against it, except that about 80% of the vocals are growlies, and while I'm not sure you've got a problem with that, I include this as a disclaimer because many Epic Rockers object to that.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: