gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 05:45:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread  (Read 40585 times)
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2009, 05:22:23 am »

Greetings Friends!!!

This is the spot to reveal yourself to the ERR world. If you are a new listener then this is the perfect spot to introduce yourself and tell everyone a bit about yourself. If you a long time listener then this is the place to get to know your epic friends of ERR a little better and to welcome in all the new friends that are sure to come along.

With the rate that we are gaining listeners here at ERR I thought it would be good to have an official place where we can all learn about our fellow epic warriors.

Maybe list some personal info (name,location, etc.), when/how you found ERR, when/where you listen to ERR, maybe your music story......really any and everything you'd like to share.

"If There Is Life After Death, There Is No Death
  And If Death Does Not Exist, We Do Not Live"
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 05:44:38 am »

I guess i'll start it off.....

My actual name is Rob. I live in Northern California in a house that i bought almost three years ago, living with my soon to be wife and two dogs. My dogs are big ERR fans!  Grin

I'm nearly 24 years old. Been listening to these styles of music since i was 19. My younger brother, "lucas_broom", is actually the one who showed me the way. He brought home some Rhapsody one day and i kinda made fun of him at first (not really giving it a chance)....then he showed me a song called "Sworn in the Metal Winds" by Lost Horizon. My life was changed forever.

I work the nightshift at a warehouse near my home. I get to listen to music there but unfortunatly i have no way of tuning in to ERR while there.....yet. So nearly all the times you see me hanging out with ERR i'm just hanging out at home trying not to spend my money and attempting to get some things done around the house (although usually i find myself just headbanging most of the time).  Grin

I stumbled upon ERR in early 2006. Didn't really introduce myself here until the end of 2006. I'm not sure exactly how long after that i contacted Kailef to see how i could help him out. Been helping out the best i can from then on. As spreading he joys of these genres is something I enjoy more than i can describe. There's nothing like showing someone a music world that they never knew existed.

I'm sure there is more that i could share, but give me a break it's currently 5:41am.  Smiley Maybe later i'll add to it a bit and throw a picture up so you can all see how epic i am!  Grin

"If There Is Life After Death, There Is No Death
  And If Death Does Not Exist, We Do Not Live"
Oseriduun
ERR Staff
Post Rank 4

Canadian Code Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 06:41:20 am »

Well then, I guess i'll toss myself out there on this, to help get the snowball rolling.

My name is Chris, I'm 28 years old born July 5th, 1980.  I am a former musician (with no official releases, i played for fun) with some experience playing Guitar, Bass Guitar, Tenor/Alto Saxophone and Keyboards/Piano.  While i dont play anymore, music is still a very big part of my life. I work at a hotel here in Niagara Falls, Ontario, where I get to listen to ERR and sit on my laptop working on the website when its not busy. Smiley

I'm an avid gamer, and before my recent departure from Eve Online, I would spend the majority of my time in that (and other) games.  Over the last 2 years of my time in EVE, I started getting into PHP programming with a MySql back-end.  I created mods for my eve-corp and eve-alliance websites using the knowledge learned.

Early 2008, I stumbled across Epic Rock Radio, by suggestion of Fade over at Metal Storm Radio (RIP, It was such a great station).  I've been a listener since that time.  Since then I managed to put all of my knowledge from doing eve site mods to use, and created the new Epic Rock Radio website for everyones enjoyment.

That's the Oser, in a nut shell.

I'll probably add more to this later, since there is alot of other things about myself to say, but start small, and work from there. Smiley

CCM: Canadian Code Monkey.
Its not just a bike manufacturer anymore Tongue
mojobie
ERR Champion
Post Rank 4

That's my new race bike.

mojobie@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:18:16 am »

Guess I'll hop on the bandwagon too.

I'm Eric, currently a full quarter century old (that sounds bad  Grin). I would say that music is my #1 choice for entertainment. I currently have a collection of roughly 200 CD's (almost 2400 tracks - I have a metal-archives profile under the same name, you can check it if you want) which is growing all the time (I expect about 40 more CD's today actually  Grin) and I play the drums. I'm a Chemical Engineer (in training) working for a small consulting firm in Edmonton, Canada, which is where I do most of my listening to ERR.

I'm a big fan of prog, power, speed, and thrash metal, though I do branch out into death metal in small doses. I've been listening to metal since sometime in 2000. My favorite bands are probably Dream Theater, Symphony X, Tourniquet, anything with Rob Rock, and Iron Savior (subject to change without any prior noitce Wink); basically anything with predominately male vocalists. When I'm not causing serious head and neck injuries (Shocked), I enjoy video gaming and motorcycling (see my avatar, that's my ride).

I've been here since October 2006 (I only know this because I started listening when I started my current job) and it's been a pretty good ride so far, tons of bands that I had no idea about which I have subsequently purchased entire discographies (Iron Savior). Hope 2009 is as good as '07 and '08 were.
falconer73
Post Rank 3

Mindtraveller, or whatever :-D

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:20:33 am »

Great thread Rob!

Ok, I'm next? My real name is Johan, 35 years old, I live with my daughter (9 yo) in my own apartment outside of Stockholm, Sweden. Well, my daughter stays with me every other week, anyway...

I think I started listening to ERR about 3-4 years ago...my memory fails me. A colleague at the insurance company where I worked at the time told me about ERR, and we were able to listen to it at work, which was great! It really got me back into metal music. I've been a "member" in the message board for 2 years now, and I've written some posts there on and off, most of the time being off topic and/or totally incoherent I think  Grin  These days I really like chatting in the shoutbox, although I'm old and slow I try and keep up.
Oh and btw, a week from now I'm going to college (equivalent of college/university), I will study for 3 years to become a nurse and I'm really looking forward to it!

Music is a big interest of mine of course. I played the drums when I was a kid. Had this great teacher, who unfortunately moved back to California... My taste in music is very varied, but the thing that really gets me going is power metal with folky nordic influences, or other ethnic influences. Some of my absolute favorites are Falconer, The Storyteller, Wuthering Heights and Angra. And I just have to order the album Hope by Myrath, I love the few songs I've heard so far!

I also love climbing, ever since a friend forced me up on a local crag about 2,5 years ago. Rock climbing, ice climbing, bouldering - it´s all great! I really feel like a beginner still, but I enjoy it like nothing else!

Oh, and I'm trying to quit the bad habit of putting tobacco under my upper lip like we do in Sweden....been doing that crap for 16 years now, and it really is time to move on....so I'm a bit moody right now but I will succeed!!!

Ok, hej så länge  Grin
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:26:53 am by falconer73 » Logged

"I am on the right track, out of the haze I'll emerge"
Absinthe
ERR Champion
Post Rank 2

Kaos_Deth@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 02:12:42 pm »

This is fun.
Hi real name is Amanda. I am 18 years old, and live in Missouri. I love history, music, drawing, music, practicing my guitar (In which i'm horrible), music, my pet Chihuahua, music, and .... music. I am currently going to college for digital animation, but i just want to storyboard.

Epic Music was first introduced to me by a f woman who was friends with this guy from Finland. He sent her some music which she hated Cry, but gave to me. Kamelot's "The Haunting", Nightwish's "Nemo", Sonata Arctica's "The End of this Chapter", and some Leonard Cohen song. Anyways, it was the first time i'd ever heard anything like it, and my obsession began. Two (?) years later, i found myself bored with what little i had, and so i did a websearch for internet radio station, and ta-da! here i am.

I do listen to other stuff, classical, some opera, the 50's 60's 70's and 80's. And 90's. I really like anything but screaming and rap. And modern country. But Epic metal is my true passion.

I consider myself annoying, as i tend to get hyper when i am bored, and i am bored alot. So feel to tell me to tone it down anytime.

"...I can't wait for the afterlife to take me by the neck, and into the forsaken places i have never been..."
Guidrummist
Post Rank 4

Yes, those drums are made of cheese.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 02:53:17 pm »

Hi, Epic Rockers!

My real name is Dan, and I live in Portland Maine in the U.S.A. although I'm originally from a small Massachusetts town about 30 miles west of Boston. I live with my fiancee, our adorable little 5-month-old kitten, and an aquarium full of freshwater fish. I'm just a few weeks shy of my 21st birthday, which is in early February. People who know me in the real world describe me as quiet, thoughtful, occasionally funny, a very good listener, and somewhat of a pain.

I'm a college student, studying music with an emphasis in composition. This basically means that I write "classical" music a lot in my spare time, although it doesn't have all that much to do with, say, Beethoven or Mozart. Perhaps soon I'll send a recording of something or another in to the station, in the footsteps of Kailef and Oseriduun.

As for instruments, I'm primarily a percussionist, spending most time on tympani, vibraphone, and drum set, but I also own a couple guitars, and play most other stringed and keyboard instruments to various extents. I'm not currently in a rock band or anything like that, although that is always subject to change, and I've been in a number in the past.

I discovered Epic Rock coming more as a prog-rock fan than a metal fan. I'd been listening to a lot of Yes, King Crimson, Rush, and other earlier prog bands, and when I asked a friend to recommend me some of their more modern musical descendents, in 2002, what he recommended were Spock's Beard, Planet X, Dream Theater, and Symphony X. Those last 3 were heavy enough that they eventually opened the door to other heavy-yet-artful music for me. I discovered Epic Rock Radio through Live365's website in 2005 or 2006, but never got around to visiting this site until March 2008. I'd like to think I've become something of a regular since then  Tongue

Paranoia is the only rational approach to a conspiracy world.
ecliptica
Post Rank 1

Nothing's what it seems to be, I'm a replica of me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 11:15:50 am »

My turn I guess!

My name is Flora, I'm 25 years old and I'm from Cyprus. I've been listening to rock and metal for a good 7 years now. I studied English language and literature in Thessaloniki, Greece worked for only one year and then moved to Sweden with my bf... I'm currently doing nothing and feeling real awkward about it but I decided that 2009 will be the year I learn Swedish real well and hopefully get a job somewhere here.

I've been listening to ERR through live365 for about a year (it may be longer but I can't really remember) and I'm a fresh member of the site, only 3 months old!  Cheesy I love (as many of you already know) Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Highland Glory, Michael Kiske Tongue and many more. The station as well as the site intorduced me to many great bands and my latest habit is chatting in the shoutbox with all those great people out there! It's real hard for a girl to find people who listen to metal and discuss about it like it's the greatest thing on earth! I feel real fortunate to belong to the ERR comunity!  Grin

So, that's me!  Wink

I travelled long and far to see the mirror on my soul,
Fading like a dream away from me...
LadyWoreBlack
ERR Champion
Post Rank 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 02:30:30 pm »

Hi, all! My real name is Lise, I am 41 years old, and I live in my own house in the 'hood in the Denver, Colorado area. I discovered ERR about a year ago on another internet radio site because someone left a message there talking about this place, so here I am! I originally studied and graduated from college with a degree in Veterinary Technology (which I also did in the Army for three years when I was very young), Wink but I now work for a large hospital managing supplies and trying to keep my nurses happy! My other interests are reading, gardening, current events/politics, various TV shows and movies (especially fantasy stuff like Harry potter, LOTR, Legend of the Seeker, Heroes, etc, etc,). Oh yeah, and drinking, of course!  Grin I love this site, and have enjoyed chatting with many of you here. Metal FOREVER!!   Grin
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:37:04 pm by LadyWoreBlack » Logged

"Chase the light I see ahead, luminate the path I tread, I live to be the best I can" Queensryche - Best I Can
lucas_broom
Post Rank 3

Just call me Luca

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 02:39:08 pm »

I suppose I'll jump in on this action.

My real name is Mike and I am 22 yrs old and live in Orange County near L.A. Right now I'm playing poker for a living until I get hired somewhere because I just moved down and we all know the economy is in trouble. I am getting my degree in music with an emphasis on classical guitar and minoring in business. My main goal in life right now is to one day fairly soon begin preperations to open my own bar with a friend and my brother Rob or as you know him "i am fabio." This bar will of course be used to book metal acts for the most part. I'm also trying to get my own career as a metal guy going as i've just began writing my first album.

I believe i came across err in late 2005 although that could be slightly off. Great station and i have been a pretty solid listener ever since. I just hope this station will continue to grow as it has!

P.S. Ill never forget the first epic metal song i ever heard which was "Flames of Revenge" by Rhapsody. Cool

My band will be named Pagans Gallery
Artemys
Post Rank 1

Follow the path my arrow flies true too.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 02:58:17 pm »

Hi all!
My real name is Amanda. I'm 18 years old and living in Ottawa, Ont. (Canada for you foreigners). I was introduced to ERR in mid-Sept. 2008 and instantly fell in love with it. Cheesy I currently live at home with my parents and brother and sister. I have a 6 y.o. Siberian Husky, named Demon, (cuz he looks like Demon from the movie snow dogs).

I do believe that if it wasn't for ERR i would probably have gone completely loony at school during my 1h 15m spare periods. Even though i'm still a little psychotic at times anyway.

Anyway i'll probably add to this later. Bye! And Stay Metal my ERRian freinds.  Tongue
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:26:12 am by Artemys » Logged
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 03:42:43 pm »

I guess I'd better type one of these up.....  Let's see.

First things first:  My real name is Jarrod.  As of the time of this writing, I am 34 years old.  I live in California (USA) about two or three hours drive time to the east of Los Angeles.  I finally own my own home (yay) and live here with my wife and eight year old daughter, and three cats.  Meow.

I've lived in California for about twenty years, prior to that I lived in my birthplace of Massachusetts, which is about as far away from here as you can be from here without leaving the country.

I am the owner and operator of an Internet radio station you might have heard of.....   Wink

ERR doesn't pay the bills (In fact, it costs me money every month even with the donations) so I currently work as the lead network engineer a local outsourced IT management company.  I've been doing this professionally for about 11 years, I'd guess.  I primarily design, deploy, troubleshoot and maintain small to medium sized Windows computer networks.  (Servers, routers, switches, databases, all that nonsense)  I didn't got to school for it, but hold an MCSE certification for Server 2003 and an MCITP: Enterprise Administrator certification for Server 2008, both from Microsoft.  When I was younger, I imagined I'd work with computers, but I always thought I'd be programming games or something.  So much for that!  Still, I'm fiercely devoted to my job, and I've quite seriously got the best boss I could ever hope for.  An absolutely great guy.

I also am the owner and head instructor of a martial arts school.  We teach Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, and Wing Chun kung fu.  I've been doing martial arts since I was four years old.  (You know, I just realized that means I've been doing it for 30 years. Wow.)  I really enjoy it quite a bit.  I used to complete in tournaments, and a for a while was participating in some MMA competitions to make money, but I don't do that sort of thing any more.  Don't really recommend it, either.  Between my computer job, my karate school, my family, and maintaining ERR, I'm kept very busy.

I have a rather varied employment background.  The most interesting highlights are about 6 years spent as the head of security at a rather rowdy nightclub, two years as a reserve police officer, and a year as a DJ at WCCR radio.

Let's see... Hobbies and interests...   Okay:  I'm a self-taught drummer and percussionist, and have played in a band for about ten years.  It's a lot of fun, but I've never considered doing it as a career.  It's more of an escape, a time of relaxation where I can get away from everything and just "melt" into the music that I'm playing and clear my head.  I'm a big science fiction and fantasy devotee, as well:  I generally don't watch movies or television unless it's good sci-fi or fantasy.  (And there's plenty of crap, let me tell you)  I used to do a lot of recreational reading of novels and such, but these days I haven't got enough time.  I don't get to do it often, but my favorite weekend activity is to head off and play paintball.  I've got some fairly high-end paintball gear, and it's a lot of fun.  I used to play World of Warcraft quite a bit, and am the guildmaster of PIF Silvergate, an Icecrown-based Alliance guild. ( http://www.wowguild.com ) I have tapered off playing quite substantially in the last few years.  I am still the guildmaster, but most of the management is handled by my officers, as I don't spend more than a few hours in game each week.

Trivia:  I have extremely bad eyesight, almost blind without my glasses.  I have never drank an alcoholic beverage, smoked, or used illegal narcotics.  I don't like cooked peas.  They taste awful.  My favorite styles of food are Thai, Chinese, and Italian.  My office in my home has seven computers and nine monitors in it.  This room is usually ten to fifteen degrees hotter than the rest of the house.

I guess that's about it!  If I think of something else, I'll come back and edit this post.

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Hatchy
ERR Champion
Post Rank 4

chris_hatch_2004@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 02:25:17 pm »

Real name is Chris, known everywhere as Hatchy. I'm 20, live in England. Into Symphonic, power and progressive metal mostly, although I do listen to other (more random) things. I am currently at Uni, University of the West of England (Or UWE), studying a 3 year course in Computer Games Design.

I've been into Symphonic, Power and Progressive metal for a few years now, when a friend introduced me to bands like"Rhapsody, Dream Theater, Nightwish and Stratovarius". Then I branched out (using the Interwebz and Last.fm) to find more bands similar to my tastes. In the 4 years or so of listening to metal, I never once thought to check any online radio stations, then a year ago I discovered ERR through Live365. Now 8 months on, I'm on this site and it rocks0rs my socks0rs !! Cheesy

Anything else ya wanna know, just ask Smiley
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 03:15:27 am by Hatchy » Logged

Are they afraid of what we see, they draw their own conclusions
This twist of fate between you and me is far beyond illusion
Far Beyond Illusion
Omacron
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

falling_pigs@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 01:13:19 am »

Hello all I'm Omacron aka Omy,

I started listening to ERR about three weeks ago when I wanted to listen to some music and my dumb work computer was having trouble loading one of our local radio stations online connections.  So I searched for some good Metal music and guess what came up.  ERR!!  One of the reason I started looking for a radio station was that I used to listen to youtube a lot.  Then the other week we get a new filter on the web and now everything seems to take 5 minutes to load.  So here I am and I'm addicted to ERR.

Symphonic Metal isn't new to me.  I'm a lover of all music but Metal has my heart.  I grew up listening to bands like Alice Cooper, KISS, Steppenwolf.  From there my music passion grew to Metallica and Judas Priest.  Always I search for new music that enthralls my mind and makes me feel alive.  The first break away from American music was with bands like Grim Reaper, Iron Maiden and Kick Axe.  I became aware of just how limited our music was and that good music came from all over the world.  From there I started searching bands out on the internet, mainly through amazon.com.  I started listening to Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Kamelot, EdGuy, Avantasia.  Still there was more and more music I was interested in but funding my music addiction is limited.

I've always had an interest in music.  It became more apparent when in Jr. High School I sang in the choir.  From there I knew I wanted to be a singer or have something to do with music.  Unfortunately I've had little help in reaching that dream.  Instead I'm currently working in television.  My job is the master control operator, which means I keep the station on air with correct programming.  I'm here for quality control, to record programs that air latter, enter commercials into our playback list that I air for local breaks.  Not much to do but there are many things you need to know when you need them.  So for several hours a night I have free time I can listen to ERR.

Once I did try to follow my dreams and join up with a band as singer.  It never did go any where as there was tension in the band with many problems.  Some being drugs and unreliable members.  It was fun but then at times it wasn't.  The lead guitarist liked to be boss and let’s just say I can't be pushed around, I lose my creativity that way.  Plus I was always confused on direction of the band.  So we have parted and that was that.  I still get calls from our lead guitarist but I've not followed up on that friendship.  Just don't get along with the guy that well.

So I've been stuck as only the karaoke singer.  From those times I still have people who come up to me this day and have to say you're a good singer.  Songs I like to sing are Steppenwolf "Born to be wild", Kid Rock "Only God Knows Why", System of a Down "Aerials", and various others.  I always get the question when I'm singing why I have to stop and let others sing.  So taken from that I assume I must sound good.  As I tell them I always try my best.  I hate singing songs I don't know or am unsure of for the very reason of not wanting to suck.

Always was interested in becoming a radio DJ but again the opportunities for that around where I live are slim pickings.  So if I really want to do that I have to move.  I live in Idaho, USA.  I grew up living in the country and raised ranching and farming.  This coming April '09 I'll reach my 28th birthday.  My other interests besides music are reading, video games, some computer art (always get mixed reviews on that, if interested I can give you a link to my photobucket pics).

I guess that's a good enough intro for now.  Say hi sometime.
Omy
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:17:43 am by Omacron » Logged

I am the univers, I am everyone, I am nothing.
Raine Lawliet
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 01:04:14 pm »

Well, I'm a long-time listener and occasional lurker of the forums, but I haven't really introduced myself properly. My real name is Jarod, and I live in New Brunswick, Canada. I'm 23 years old and currently looking for work. I'm trained as a web developer, but after working in the field for four years, I've found that I don't enjoy it very much. I've been writing as a hobby for six years, but over the last few, I've decided to get a bit more serious with it and try to get my work published. No luck so far, only because I haven't completed anything that satisfies me enough to share it. I do have several projects that I've put a lot of work into, however, and hope to have something to show for it by the end of this year. Ultimately, I would love to make a career out of writing or editing.

My first taste of epic rock was when an acquaintance of mine sent me an mp3 of Dream Theater's As I Am. By that time, I had grown tired of the dull, uninspired and altogether lazy pieces that passed for music in the mainstream, and this song proved to be a much needed breath of fresh air. I promptly bought Scenes from a Memory and began researching the genre, discovering Kamelot, Symphony X and Ayreon soon afterward and almost entirely replacing my music collection. Progressive metal has been prominent since that time, but I do have a place in my heart and on my shelf for symphonic metal, folk, classical, ambient and opera.

I've been a gamer for most of my life with varying levels of dedication. The Super Nintendo was my console of choice growing up, and even now, I hold Final Fantasy VI, A Link to the Past and Chrono Trigger as some of my favourite games. For the most part, I neglected the sixth generation of gaming, and only purchased a PS2 when the PS3 and Wii were in development. I'm paying more attention to the industry these days, though I still don't spend much money on it. I'm mostly an offline, solo gamer, but I do play the occasional online game as long as I don't need to pay any monthly fees.

Finally, I find myself more or less incapable of staying active on message boards, but I'll do my best.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to: