gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2019, 03:28:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What is Metal?  (Read 10382 times)
Absinthe
ERR Champion
Post Rank 2

Kaos_Deth@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« on: February 06, 2009, 01:45:45 pm »

So, I am not much into myspace, blogging, or forums, spending most of my time online listeniing to music, reading music news, and watching music vids (The kind that teach you, not usually the song accompanient type). However, as I absolutely enjoy err, (And have 8+ hours at school in which to do nothing) i figured I'd start participating in the forums...

Here Goes...

What is Metal? This is kind of one of those rhetorical questions, that asks what does it mean to you? Is it just one of those things that you listen to?  Embarrassed Or does it have a deeper implication?  feel Free to share!

"...I can't wait for the afterlife to take me by the neck, and into the forsaken places i have never been..."
Absinthe
ERR Champion
Post Rank 2

Kaos_Deth@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 02:00:03 pm »

So, at the risk of sounding like a freak, i'll start.

To me music is everything.  Metal though is much more to me.
Metal is complex, and usually balances treble and bass very well. On a bad day it gets me up, and on a good day, it funnels my energy.
 There is nothing greater than the vibrating hum of an electric guitar with high gain. It pulses through my body, leaving me breathless. The whine of a violin is like daggers seeping through my skin (I mean that in a good way...?) The beat of the drum is like my heartbeat, and it gives me life. And vocals.... There is nothing more awe inspiring then full energy screaming through your lungs, through your throat, and out of your lips, and the taste of air as you inhale to keep from drowning in ecstasy.
And the lyrics... Metal sings of anything and everything. It can be postively sad, or sadly positive. It is dramatic, each song leaving you with the feel of victory over a battle you should not have won. Exhausted, yet refreshed.

So, after admitting that i was a freak, i hope no one reads this, or if they do, they'll at least post some reply.  Wink

"...I can't wait for the afterlife to take me by the neck, and into the forsaken places i have never been..."
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 11:42:37 pm »

Freak!

But seriously,

Metal is just metal, to me.  Metal without the complexity given to it by the progressive and symphonic subgenres is not interesting to me.  Metal without the energy of powermetal is not interesting to me.  It's the fusion of power and complexity of albums like Mercy Falls by Seventh Wonder and Temple of Shadows by Angra that are "real" metal, to me.

Power without complexity is little more than a wall of noise with nothing to differentiate itself from the sounds made by a cement mixer and a jackhammer.

Complexity without power is style without substance.  A small, beautiful sigh drowned out by the deafening sound of everyday life that goes on around it.

But progressive powermetal?  That's music.  Oh, my, yes.

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

mojobie
ERR Champion
Post Rank 4

That's my new race bike.

mojobie@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 07:28:41 am »

From Wiki: "A metal is a chemical element that readily conducts electricity and heat, forms cations, and bonds ionically with non-metals."...Oh wait, you meant heavy metal  Grin.

I have often thought what I would say if someone said that I had one song to show them what metal is about. I think I would have to pick Symphony X's "Of Sins and Shadows". Why this song? Because it has all the elements that metal incorporates. Heavy guitars with a great solo, a great singer and great instrumentalists (all around great, I guess). If I had to chose one thing that I think defines metal, it would be the guitar solos; they don't have to be complex (DT/SymX), or insanely fast (Malmsteen/Impellitteri), just present.
amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 01:50:07 am »

For me metal is an addiction, a source of driving through ups and downs of my day, it is one of my greatest driving forces, keeps me focused and pumps up energy in my veins.

Technically what I define as metal is a bit strange. For me any great epic song/music is as metal as the ones played using typical heavy metal guitars and drums. For me many classical pieces, symphonies, ballads, folk musics, progressive/space rock songs are really metal as well: the Moonlight Sonata or the Requiem is as heavy as any heavy metal music I like.

May be I'm exaggerating a bit and defining anything I like as metal, but seriously, these kind of music works their way deep into my soul when I listen to them: for me the instrument does not matter, what matters is the music, its complexity, style, and epicness, the vocals, the lyrics. Put these elements right in any music, and I will call it metal Tongue.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 01:52:18 am by amir » Logged
Hatchy
ERR Champion
Post Rank 4

chris_hatch_2004@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 01:08:01 pm »

Anything and everything that does not fall under POWER, PROGRESSIVE or SYMPHONIC METAL is considered talentless, a waste of space and time to listen to. Stuff that gets played on the radio just doesn't seem to sound like it was made very well. By this I mean with love, devotion and to keep fans and non-believers entertained enough to listen to the entire song through. Radio music is simply there to grab ratings yet with metal it is comprised of a writer's (and ultimately) the band's soul.

It takes great skill to play like many bands here play. And this is what I admire and devote my life to listening. As someone else decribed (forget the name), Metal wakes me up in the morning and is the last thing I listen to when I go to bed. It keeps me energetic and full of life with the hard drum beats, glorious guitar riffs. sophisicated keyboard solos and a singer to bring it all together well. Listening to metal brings me that much closer to caring about the music much much more and becoming one with the music (be it headbanger or rocking out hard). It is my life as I am of it. Without metal, I would seize to do anything remotely considered fun or worthwhile. It is the driving force that keeps me going throughout my days

Are they afraid of what we see, they draw their own conclusions
This twist of fate between you and me is far beyond illusion
Far Beyond Illusion
Absinthe
ERR Champion
Post Rank 2

Kaos_Deth@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 11:28:09 am »

Freak!

Ah, see, i knew it.  Wink  Anyways... now that my self esteem has been shattered...
For me metal is an addiction, a source of driving through ups and downs of my day, it is one of my greatest driving forces, keeps me focused and pumps up energy in my veins.

I quite agree, i can't function without music, let alone metal. Its quick beats keep me energized, and the complex stuff keeps me from getting bored.

Anything and everything that does not fall under POWER, PROGRESSIVE or SYMPHONIC METAL is considered talentless, a waste of space and time to listen to.

It takes great skill to play like many bands here play. And this is what I admire and devote my life to listening.

i personally wouldn't call EVERYTHING a waste of time and space. There are many good aspects of other genres that one can learn things from. However, on a one to ten scale very few of it makes it past a 6 for me. I agree with your other comment totally. The talent associated with the stuff on err is incredible and very few artists can dare to compete with this stuff.  Wink

Guidrummist
Post Rank 4

Yes, those drums are made of cheese.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 06:01:34 pm »

I actually had to give a lot of thought to this question. Most of what I first imagined as defining metal, or what I like about it,
ended up either including music from other genres, or excluding some metal bands. Anyway, here's what I've come up with

-AGRESSION:
All metal displays some of this hostility, attitude, overdose of testosterone, whatever you want to call it. It presents itself with
a "if you don't like this, then we don't like YOU!" swagger.

-ESCAPISM:
Have you ever heard a metal song wherein everyone is satisfied with the status quo? Me neither. The ones that aren't highlighting
some of our reality's more unpleasant aspects tend to be based in another world altogether (whether it's a fantasy realm, a torture scene,
a well-known book/movie/tv show, or some other fictitious setting).

-EQUALITY:
In metal, the guitar and the drums are of equal importance to the vocalist, if not greater. The bass and occasional keyboard
often get to share in this prioritization, but even when they do not, they still don't get off easy, which leads to my next point...

-VIRTUOSITY:
Nobody in a metal band is content to perform half-heartedly, or to be a bad musician. The perpetual drive to play faster, louder,
and while headbanging and running around the stage leads most to a level of excellence that just isn't seen in most other forms
of rock music.

-LOW FREQUENCIES:
Metal bands seem to have a near-monopoly on the bass end of the EQ spectrum thanks to developments such as down-tuning,
double bass drums, extra-stringed guitars/basses, and guttural vocals.

I'll probably think of a few more attributes common to all metal that, when combined with these, exclude any other genre, but
for now, I think this is a decent start to a list that can define what makes a band a metal band or not.

Paranoia is the only rational approach to a conspiracy world.
Rumpelteaser
Post Rank 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 04:42:05 pm »

-VIRTUOSITY:
Nobody in a metal band is content to perform half-heartedly, or to be a bad musician. The perpetual drive to play faster, louder,
and while headbanging and running around the stage leads most to a level of excellence that just isn't seen in most other forms
of rock music.

This.

I've seen too many bands that fall below average because there's always someone in the band that doesn't 'have' it. Whether it be a drummer that is riding on the coattails of an amazing guitarist or a keyboard player that cannot harmonize with a vocalist. I suppose they think they can get away with being mediocre and nobody will notice. Not the case for metal, you would be eaten alive if you tried to pull that.

To me, Metal is about songwriting. While most other genres of music focus on the lyrical aspect of songs, Metal focuses on both. When writing a Metal song, every note is writen for a purpose. I can't stand old wannabe rock songs that are comprised of a whole 4 different guitar chords. Show your imagination and skill! Do something that few have done!
Hatchy
ERR Champion
Post Rank 4

chris_hatch_2004@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 02:50:21 pm »

I've seen too many bands that fall below average because there's always someone in the band that doesn't 'have' it. Whether it be a drummer that is riding on the coattails of an amazing guitarist or a keyboard player that cannot harmonize with a vocalist. I suppose they think they can get away with being mediocre and nobody will notice. Not the case for metal, you would be eaten alive if you tried to pull that.

To me, Metal is about songwriting. While most other genres of music focus on the lyrical aspect of songs, Metal focuses on both. When writing a Metal song, every note is writen for a purpose. I can't stand old wannabe rock songs that are comprised of a whole 4 different guitar chords. Show your imagination and skill! Do something that few have done!

Seconded

Are they afraid of what we see, they draw their own conclusions
This twist of fate between you and me is far beyond illusion
Far Beyond Illusion
lucas_broom
Post Rank 3

Just call me Luca

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 12:04:41 am »

So, at the risk of sounding like a freak, i'll start.

To me music is everything.  Metal though is much more to me.
Metal is complex, and usually balances treble and bass very well. On a bad day it gets me up, and on a good day, it funnels my energy.
 There is nothing greater than the vibrating hum of an electric guitar with high gain. It pulses through my body, leaving me breathless. The whine of a violin is like daggers seeping through my skin (I mean that in a good way...?) The beat of the drum is like my heartbeat, and it gives me life. And vocals.... There is nothing more awe inspiring then full energy screaming through your lungs, through your throat, and out of your lips, and the taste of air as you inhale to keep from drowning in ecstasy.
And the lyrics... Metal sings of anything and everything. It can be postively sad, or sadly positive. It is dramatic, each song leaving you with the feel of victory over a battle you should not have won. Exhausted, yet refreshed.

So, after admitting that i was a freak, i hope no one reads this, or if they do, they'll at least post some reply.  Wink

beautiful

My band will be named Pagans Gallery
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 01:06:08 am »

I agree with all of the above answers in a sense. If someone were to put all of your answers together i think that would represent my feelings.

To answer the original question though, "Metal", or "Music" in general is much more than just something to listen to for me. Much, much more.  Smiley 

"If There Is Life After Death, There Is No Death
  And If Death Does Not Exist, We Do Not Live"
atlantis
Post Rank 5

realityequation.net

livatlantis
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 05:11:25 pm »

When I had a vertigo attacks last year, I was reminded of how vulnerable we can be, how ephemeral our existence and our senses are. I was losing my hearing (an odd ear condition, was a misdiagnosis in any case), would sit immobile for hours when I had the attacks, and, of course, had the honor of listening to my mind (heart?) speak. And what shocked meóno, not shocked, impressedóme was how even in that state of vulnerability, I didn't feel weak, I felt I'd been missing something for a while, but was ready to take anything on.

And what really gave me the energy, apart from family, was metal. Yes, yes, Gamma Ray, Avantasia, Sonata Arctica, picking up the guitar and jamming and singing along to/writing cheesy songs that would make even the finest French Gorgonzola turn green (odd idea, that) Tongue

... The vertigo attacks have passed, and I'm completely fine now. But the energy remains. And I'm grateful to metal (and to life, but that's implied, no? Cheesy) for that.

reality equation of infinite variables
http://www.realityequation.net/
The Eagle Warrior
ERR Champion
Post Rank 5

I love it when a plan comes together.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 10:23:25 pm »

Heavy Metal is like anything in life, it's called escapism. Meaning to get away from the pressures and stresses of life. Relax, don't get stress and enjoy life and live life to the fullest.
Put in a metal CD or listen to ERR if you need to escape from the daily pressure's of life.

Reverend Eagle Warrior
Kelseran
Post Rank 1

Across the bloody plains to our deaths, we marched

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 03:15:06 pm »

For me, Metal is just pure awesomeness. It helps me un-wind and relax (Some people look at me like O_o when I say that)

"Someone to respect, and be respected by."-Hunter's Season Kamelot.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: