gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2019, 12:14:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Poll
Question: What is your favorite vocalist style?
Male - 10 (41.7%)
Female - 3 (12.5%)
Both/group - 11 (45.8%)
Pure Instruments - 0 (0%)
Other... - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Vocalists - Male or Female.... Or both?  (Read 8700 times)
Absinthe
ERR Champion
Post Rank 2

Kaos_Deth@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« on: September 10, 2009, 09:08:12 am »

What is your vocal preference?
   Do you like the flowing melodic voice of female artists like Epica and Leaves Eyes? Or do you prefer the lower-toned voice of male artists such as Sonata Arctica or Avantasia? Or maybe a combination of both like Nightwish and Van Canto utilize. Or Maybe you don't like vocals at all, and prefer the the music to speak for itself...
     Let us know what your preference is, as well as your faovrite vocalist!

"...I can't wait for the afterlife to take me by the neck, and into the forsaken places i have never been..."
LadyWoreBlack
ERR Champion
Post Rank 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 03:32:14 pm »

Definitely both............you get the best of both worlds that way.

"Chase the light I see ahead, luminate the path I tread, I live to be the best I can" Queensryche - Best I Can
mojobie
ERR Champion
Post Rank 4

That's my new race bike.

mojobie@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 07:26:34 am »

As I've said many times before, I'm very much a male vocals only person; clean, growl, scream, falsetto, it's (almost) all good (black metal shrieks don't do that much for me). I don't mind the odd bit of accompaniment by female vocals when thematically appropriate, i.e. Anna in the Avantasia operas. There is the odd band that features female leads that I don't mind, White Skull being one of them, Nightwish is tolerable every now and then (I even quite enjoy one of their songs...though it's one with a lot of Marco  Tongue). I think a lot of it happens to come down to the fact that a lot of the female groups (WT, AF, LE, etc...) don't play music that I enjoy. I didn't used to enjoy growls or harsh male vocals either, but I found a group that had some, and because of the awesomeness of the music (in this case it was Believer, a great Christian thrash band), I got into the harsher stuff, and now I enjoy some deathy stuff too. Perhaps the same could happen with female lead sometime...

An interesting question I ask myself every now and then is that if DT was fronted by a female, would they still be my #1 favorite? I still don't have an answer to that.
filibert
Post Rank 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 01:27:01 pm »

Both,

I like girl sopprano voices as well as screaming male voices like Daniel Heiman (Lost Horizon, Heed)...

Ralph Scheepers (ex-Gamma Ray / Primal Fear), Mickael Kiske (ex-Helloween) and Harry Conklin (Jag Panzer) are part of my favorite male singers.
Susanne Ehlers (Haggard), Elisa Martin (ex-Dark Moor), Sonia Pineault (Forgotten Tales), Anneke van Giersbergen (ex-The Gathering) and Simone Simons (Epica) are my favorite female singers.

Cheers :-)
mysoulmadefromdark
Post Rank 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 12:20:23 pm »

I like more girls singers  But im ok with boys but without screaming if he wants scream make it good once not just noise or heavy music without feelings or melody to hear The best male voice is the singer Of kamelot the best female singer  is Sharon dan Adel of Within temptation no doubt   Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
Guidrummist
Post Rank 4

Yes, those drums are made of cheese.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 05:55:33 pm »

I've gotta say my preference is for vocalists who produce a GOOD sound, regardless of gender, range, technique, etc.

A good boy-soprano is just as awesome as someone with killer guttural vocals is just as awesome as [etc etc etc etc]. It's all about what brings the particular song to life

Paranoia is the only rational approach to a conspiracy world.
iFail
Post Rank 1

retro_kid_8@hotmail.com tariqslee
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 01:07:47 am »

Both are good in different ways. Whilst I love Within Temptation, Epica and Nightwish, the voices of the respective singers would not work in the style of Stratovarius or Sonata.

my favourite band has both (Lacuna Coil) so I guess that's what I'll vote Cheesy
The Eagle Warrior
ERR Champion
Post Rank 5

I love it when a plan comes together.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 01:18:15 am »

I like strong male voices - Bruce Dickenson and Rob Halfold
Omacron
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

falling_pigs@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 02:27:32 am »

I like the music instraments the most - so don't care who's singing as long as it sounds good.  So both for me  Grin
But if the guitarist can't hold a tune don't matter who's singing.

I am the univers, I am everyone, I am nothing.
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 07:16:00 pm »

There are a lot of awesome metal vocalists out there.  It is not possible to list all of the singers out there that I enjoy and feel are highly talented, both male and female.

However, the following four people, in my opinion, have taken the performance of their particular genres to the "next level" and blow me away every time I hear their voices:

Freddie Mercury
Nils Patrik Johansson
Jorne Lande
Jarkko Ahola

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

~V~
Lead Administrator
Post Rank 5

Epic-Rock-Radio-V@live.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 08:04:51 pm »

Ahhh, that explains, Teräsbetoni. 

I don't know alot about him but if I had to describe what I do know of him, I would say his voice is "powerful" or "majestic", especially when he sings in his native tongue.  I've also read that is voice has been compared to, Ronnie James Dio.

EPIC ROCK RADIO, where metal, is the way it should be!
https://www.facebook.com/EpicRockRadioVee
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 10:34:13 pm »

Ahhh, that explains, Teräsbetoni. 

I don't know alot about him but if I had to describe what I do know of him, I would say his voice is "powerful" or "majestic", especially when he sings in his native tongue.  I've also read that is voice has been compared to, Ronnie James Dio.
Yes...  I love his voice.  Each of those vocalists, though, is extremely unique in their own way, they do things differently and better than others that try to do the same thing in their respective genres.  In my opinion anyhow...

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

The Eagle Warrior
ERR Champion
Post Rank 5

I love it when a plan comes together.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 06:15:51 pm »

If their was no Freddie Mercury or Queen, then there properly wouldn't be any power or epic metal today.
~V~
Lead Administrator
Post Rank 5

Epic-Rock-Radio-V@live.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 06:27:10 pm »

Freddie Mercury was one of the Greats!  A true loss.

EPIC ROCK RADIO, where metal, is the way it should be!
https://www.facebook.com/EpicRockRadioVee
Joe the Tech
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

Performing digital miracles.

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 02:17:54 pm »

Male vocalists, definitely.  There are very few female-fronted bands I actually enjoy here (White Skull comes to mind because the vocalist sounds like Ann Wilson from Heart).  I'm not a mysogynist by any means, I just prefer the powerful vocals that male vocalists provide, rather than the operatic vocals you generally get from a female vocalist.  Bands that feature both are right out because they almost always use the female vocalist for operatic vocals and the male for growling (Haggard, Epica, etc.), and I really can't stand either of those.  Combination bands that don't do this are usually at least somewhat tolerable.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:19:40 pm by Joe the Tech » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: