gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2019, 09:14:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: New Request Policy (Updated: Mar 17/2010)  (Read 14293 times)
Oseriduun
ERR Staff
Post Rank 4

Canadian Code Monkey

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2010, 03:44:12 am »

In an attempt to alleviate the extreme queue lengths, we have adjusted our request policy from 2 requests per hour, to a maximum of 2 requests queued at any given time.

We will re-evaluate this change in the coming weeks to gauge its impact on the server.

Happy Listening.

--------------
Updated Mar4/2010
--------------

Effective Immediately. There is now a floating limit of 25 queued minutes using the following conditions.

1) Your First request will bypass any timelimit restrictions that are in place.
2) Your Second request must not put your pair past 25 minutes.  If, in the event of, you going over the 25 minute limit with your requests, you will receive an error, and an opportunity to pick a shorter track.

I will made some more changes to provide you with the information required to determine how much of that 25 minutes is remaining, but as of right now that is not in place.

This change has been put in place to prevent people from taking up 30+ minutes of airtime with 2 songs.  They will now need to split those 2 songs up over different request periods, and as such, this should make the queue a touch more considerate for all who are listening.

If you run into any errors with this change, please report them in this thread, or mention it to Oseriduun directly.
-----------

Updated Mar 17 / 2010
-----------

The following adjustments were placed into effect a couple days ago.

The same track cannot be requested for a minimum of 12 hours from its last air time
The same artist cannot be requested for a minimum of 3 hours from the time they play

When one request is already queued, your combined 'pair' is limited to a maximum of 20 minutes total request time permitted

-----------

as always, these changes will be evaluated in the coming weeks, and we will may make more changes between now and then.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:16:40 am by Oseriduun » Logged

CCM: Canadian Code Monkey.
Its not just a bike manufacturer anymore Tongue
~V~
Lead Administrator
Post Rank 5

Epic-Rock-Radio-V@live.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 07:58:38 am »

Ohhhh yeah!  Sweeeet!  I'm so excited! 

Thanks Oser, for your work on this!  This should substantially clear-up the congestion!

EPIC ROCK RADIO, where metal, is the way it should be!
https://www.facebook.com/EpicRockRadioVee
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 12:43:01 pm »

I like it.

"If There Is Life After Death, There Is No Death
  And If Death Does Not Exist, We Do Not Live"
Absinthe
ERR Champion
Post Rank 2

Kaos_Deth@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 05:20:56 pm »

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

As much as i dislike this idea, i think its for the best. There's been days where i request something in the morning, and don't get to listen to it until mid-day. And it never fails, the playlist gets below twenty, and someone goes and req's a twenty min song, backing it back up again  Angry   

"...I can't wait for the afterlife to take me by the neck, and into the forsaken places i have never been..."
mysoulmadefromdark
Post Rank 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 03:45:05 am »

I think that is great I like it  Wink
Oseriduun
ERR Staff
Post Rank 4

Canadian Code Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 04:44:58 am »

Opening Post has been updated to reflect the new changes submitted on March 4th.

Kwesster
Post Rank 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 06:23:36 am »

Muhahah. Great addition Oser. Cheesy

Perfect touch I've been hoping and waiting for. Good job. Smiley

I do to you what you do to me and more ...
Muzz
Post Rank 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 08:50:00 pm »

The time limit restriction is a great idea. So good in fact that I thought of it myself but just hadn't gotten around to suggesting it.  Wink

I still think that 25 minutes is too generous as someone can request a couple of 10+ minutes songs but I realise there are a few very long tracks on the list. Maybe there should be a restriction on how often those very long tracks can be requested.

Now to get really radical I could even suggest that if a user is not logged in at the time their request hits the 5 songs coming up list then it's kicked off the queue. That might encourage people to stick around longer or not make requests when they know full well they won't be logged in to hear it.
elryn
Post Rank 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 09:07:56 am »

Thanks oser for these nice changes. The queue is a lot shorter now, though I would prefer it to be a bit shorter still.

Muzz, I see where you're coming from, but I see a problem with you suggestion.
You can't be sure somebody isn't listening if he's not logged on to this site. But I agree that 25 minutes is still a long time.
Oseriduun
ERR Staff
Post Rank 4

Canadian Code Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 10:24:41 am »

25 mins was the average amount of the limitation suggestions. It was approved by our lord and master of metal, Kailef.  So shall it be written, so shall it be done.

(Kai's the boss, he said 25mins, so 25mins it is.  considering we do have tracks that are 25mins or more, we all felt that it was a fair number, for the time being.)

As for the other request changes to shorten the queue, what is currently in place, is under evaluation.  We are testing it to see how its working, and will likely make adjustments to it as we go.

I am personally very thankful that i was permitted to make such a change, because now when i see '40+' songs in queue, i know that it could've been oh so much worse.. (figure 40 req's, is 20 unique requesters or more). if each of these people were given 2 req's every hour, by the old req rules, we would be looking at 60-100 songs in queue, which is rediculous.

Absinthe
ERR Champion
Post Rank 2

Kaos_Deth@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 07:23:33 pm »

AWESOME!!!

i myself am not a fan of really long songs. They are good, but they are to me usually are six songs jammed into one track, one song on repeat, or one song on repeat with a very bad narration. With the new changes in effect, that means i will hear more of multiple songs and less of the same one. Cheesy

"...I can't wait for the afterlife to take me by the neck, and into the forsaken places i have never been..."
Guidrummist
Post Rank 4

Yes, those drums are made of cheese.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 12:57:22 pm »

I've noticed in here and in the shoutbox that it has been observed by many people that all the new queue-shortening policies can be used by a person so inclined to spam reqs of the same band over and over with greater efficiency. I have no reason to accuse anybody of doing that yet, but if someone starts, (1) would it be possible to prohibit a requestor from req'ing the same band more than once in, say, 24hrs, and (2) would this sort of action actually be taken, or would this count as more of a "feature" than a "bug?"

Paranoia is the only rational approach to a conspiracy world.
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 02:17:51 pm »

I don't quite understand the implications here... What do you mean by "makes it easier to spam the same band"?  There is an enforced limit of two hours during which the band cannot be played again, right?  So, I guess I don't follow what you mean.

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Oseriduun
ERR Staff
Post Rank 4

Canadian Code Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 03:24:14 pm »

i've been keeping an eye on this.

basically, due to the way the req system is, and the specific delays that are currently in use, it *could* be possible for a user to request the same band over and over, but it will, in no way, change how many req's that artist *could* have in a given month.

there is a hard-coded limit of 2hours after an artist *starts* playing before they can be requested again.  If a person is determined enough, and the queue is 'just right' a person could req a pair of songs, then when that pair plays, req a diff pair of tracks, once those play, they can request the first 2 artists again. (i've done this numerous times myself, and it does give a user a bit of a monopoly on the artists *if* there is approx a 2hr queue.).

I dont agree with hard-limiting a persons ability to request an artist, but I will be looking into ways to make it more fair for all users to get a chance to request artists. (even those highly popular ones like kamelot, iron maiden, ect.)

Omacron
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

falling_pigs@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 12:40:55 am »

I think the changes are good.  I get less requests in over my short time on but the music is so good around here I don't mind  Grin
I also agree with the limitation of long songs.  I don't mind listening to them but when some one gets on and requests two epic songs that basically take over the next hour of play - well I get a little irritated that now I might not get to listen to my requests.
I would be in support of being able to pull your own request from the que if I didn't think it would be abused - like requesting a band you don't like just to get it off the list then reject it from the cue before it's played.

I am the univers, I am everyone, I am nothing.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: