gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 11, 2020, 05:11:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: It's dead!!! ?Oh noes!  (Read 3507 times)
JayPeeG
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

Rocking out, one day at a time.

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2006, 04:04:27 pm »

Yea, my home computer died on me.  I guess it was bound to happen though as it was getting pretty old.  My motherboard is probably the problem and I thought I might as well get a whole new machine instead of patching up something that's just asking to break down again.

If anybody has suggestions about a buildup (brands for mboard/proc/vidcard) i'm looking along the ways of a 3ghz processor with 1024mb of RAM and a 256mb vid card for playing a greedy ass game resource-wise called Lineage II.

Till I get the money for it, i'll be getting bored out of my mind as my only means of entertainment at home is now the t.v. and we all know how much that sucks.   :-/  Hell, i'm even starting to get excited to go to work cuz that's the only place I can get an internet access.  lol

~ Powerquest makes me want to grow a mullet and drive a Trans-Am.   - Creed
Havok
Post Rank 4

Ukrainian Metalhead!!!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 08:10:15 pm »

I'm going to assume you want a good machine, for a reasonable price so I won't go ape shit on the good stuff Wink

3.0ghz cpu:
http://www.mikescomputershop.com/product.php?productid=76&cat=37&page=1

4 RAM slot mobo with good PCI/PCI-E slots:
http://www.mikescomputershop.com/product.php?productid=285&cat=130&page=1

Not the best video card, but it's a good start Wink  Should handle whatever you want to throw at it on L2:
http://www.mikescomputershop.com/product.php?productid=298&cat=132&page=1

$169.99 + $219.99 + $169.99 = $559.97 Canadian

That's about the cheapest stuff that'll satisfy those reqs and still perform well.  The CPU will always murder you, so I suggest going with something a bit better than what I posted here.  Get a good one now, won't have to worry about upgrading that beast later Wink

Also, all this stuff is brand new.  You can grab a 256mb video card second hand nowadays since hardcore gamers use a 512mb!  For instance, drool over this guy:
http://www.mikescomputershop.com/product.php?productid=429&cat=132&page=1
*drooooool*

Anyways, it'll set yah back a good bit of cash but a good compy is worth it!

Forgive me for I don't know what I gain
Alone in this garden of pain
Enchantment has but one truth:
I weep to have what I fear to lose.
~Nightwish - Gethsemane~
JayPeeG
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 04:11:57 pm »

Thanks for the tips and yeah, I was thinking about maybe putting in some decent amount, like not too far from 1k should make me happy for a while.  That is if I don't go and buy something stupid like this.

That sucker is so expensive the guy has only 1 card in there.   Tongue  (549.99$)

I'll go have a look in some shops around my place before I make the move too but i'll pretty much be needing an entire system.  Those other things like wireless network adapters and sound cards aren't my main concern for now though.
To be honest, my main concern is buying my summer tires in a month and a half or so.  Got some nice 18 inchers to cover up and slap on my car that will look soooo neat.  Might let you guys see once I get em on.  Wink

I'm just grateful i'm still living at my parent's place right now.   Grin

amir
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

amirsaffari
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 09:27:46 pm »

Hey dude,

I made up a new  machine for myself not more than 1 months ago, I could recommend to go for AMD Athlon 64 CPU, since it is cheaper compared to what Intel would offer, and performs much more better for Games, in addition it is a 64-bit architecture that will replace fully in near future 32-bit ones. I didn't had also a great budget for my new PC, so the overall price is around 500 Euros. Here are my system specifications:

1) CPU: AMD Atholon 64 +3000, Socket 939
2) MB: ASUS A8N-E, chipset  nVidia nForce4 Ultra
3) RAM: 2*256 MB, dual-channel support
4) VGA: Asus GeForce 6800GT 256MB PCI-E
5) Case: ATX (400 Watts) whatever you would like

There are also some good ATI graphic cards that you might be interested in.

Cheers
ivanCorea
Post Rank 5

We shall know no fear!

ivancorea80@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 09:46:26 am »

LOL that CPU seems more like a refrigerator!!!  Grin but still I want one of those lol

Fenrys Hjolda!
JayPeeG
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 07:30:29 pm »

Interesting info there amir, will take it into consideration. Thanks!

And yeah Ivan, the cooling system could make it feel like one too.  Tongue  With hydraulic door, wheels and handles for easy carrying!  Tool-free installation too.  lol

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: