gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2019, 02:33:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: FF's top ten prog/power metal albums (Sept 2010 edition)  (Read 3251 times)
FeuerFrei-
ERR Champion
Post Rank 2

the freezing fog got me again..

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:55:46 pm »

My favorite albums tend to shift around over time so here is a snapshot of my current ranking. I find it hard to really accurately enumerate my favorites after the first 4 or 5 though.

Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic Calling
What an amazing album! I love how fluid the music flows with a lot of depth, atmosphere and mood. The sound is the most unique blend of prog rock, power metal and sci-fi spacey themes. The solos feel natural and do blend in nicely to the music despite being at such an amazing technical level. Cool themes inspired by the movie Stargate, and alien encounters.

Dream Theater - Awake
I love how this album has so much attitude and emotion. Kevin Moore does some fantastic keyboard work and I feel all of the others are also at the top of their game on this album.

Kamelot - The Black Halo
A sequel to Epica that I feel is even stronger. This album was also enhanced by cameos by Simone Simmons, Shagrath and Jens Johansson.

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
The album that made me an addict to epic metal. Such a cool concept album full of a coherent story, epic guitar riffs and Geoff Tate's screams.

Sonata Arctica - The Days of Grays

Avantasia - The Scarecrow

Dream Theater - Images and Words

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

Symphony X - Paradise Lost

Nightwish - Dark Passion Play
Guidrummist
Post Rank 4

Yes, those drums are made of cheese.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:26:54 pm »

Hmmm interesting trends you've got going on.

-9 of 10 albums are on ERR. Talk about compatibility! I like Porcupine Tree quite a bit, and especially that album, but they've got so much not-metal and barely-metal maybe-metal that I can't ever see them fitting in here (note: I would not entirely mind being wrong here).

-Many of these albums are fairly recent (i.e. from the past 5 years). This provides a nice old-vs-new balance along the "classics" you've also got (such as Operation: Mindcrime and Images & Words).

-Definitely weighted heavily to the prog side of the prog/power spectrum.

So what's this say about you as an ERRor? *Extrapolates wildly and unfairly* You like it here. It ain't perfect, and sometimes the overly-simplistic power stuff gets a little boring/annoying to you, but you don't mind too much. At least there's a mix of headbangin' classics in there, and some cutting-edge prog-rock for you to rock out to and puzzle over.

Alright-- back to you, to make fun of my overanalysis  Tongue

Paranoia is the only rational approach to a conspiracy world.
The Eagle Warrior
ERR Champion
Post Rank 5

I love it when a plan comes together.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:15:58 pm »

You can't beat the classics. Iron Maiden anyone. Cheesy
FeuerFrei-
ERR Champion
Post Rank 2

the freezing fog got me again..

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 02:35:05 pm »

ERR definitely exposed me to more prog/power "epic" metal. I never really gave Pagan's Mind a fair shake until ERR and now they are on the verge of being my favorite band.

I will probably do a top 10 album list of albums not in the ERR genre since my musical taste was more varied back in those "dark ages".
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: