gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2018, 10:32:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kailef's top 10 albums - New as of May 22, 2011  (Read 4172 times)
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2011, 12:16:56 am »

It's time that I update my top 10 albums list.

As before, my criteria for rating albums is based on (A) their "staying power", and (B) their ability to be listened to straight through skipping few, if any, tracks.

Now, on to the list.  First, a few albums that came close, but didn't quite make it due to my interest in them falling off over time, or there being a few too many tracks on the album that I prefer to skip over when listening.  These honorable mentions include:

The Revenge - Allen-Lande
With the supremely awesome ballads "Master of Sorrow" and "When Time Doesn't Heal" crowing this particular album, it had the potential to be in my top 10 list.  Unfortunately, there are just too many mediocre tracks on the album for it to make it.

Difference - Dreamtale
A former top 10, the album's attraction (massively talented lead singer Jarkko Ahola) wasn't enough to make the album remain properly interesting over the long haul.  Outstanding vocals, but only moderate musicianship and song complexity.

The 1st Chapter - Circus Maximus
This album lived in my CD player for six months after I first got it, but sadly I can't say that I listen to it any more.  I've got it in my 'honorable mention' list because, come on, I listened to it for six months straight!  Nice clean vocals, skilled musicianship, it's all there.

Mercy Falls - Seventh Wonder
A former #1 that fell out of favor with me much the way that "The 1st Chapter" did, except that it fell much harder.  I never listen to this album any longer, but it's definitely still a great listen for someone who hasn't heard it before.

Dust to Dust - Heavenly
This is really a fun album to listen to.  It hasn't got the technical prowess and complexity that I like, but as far as powermetal goes, this is the stuff right here.  Their vocal choruses are really impressive.  I remember considering this album for my top 10 a the last few times I put it together, and once again I was thinking about it, so I decided it definitely deserved a spot in the runner up section.  It didn't make it to the actual top 10 only because while I do listen to it, I only do so occasionally.

And now my top 10!  There are albums that I will listen to at least once in any given thirty day period, probably more, and have liked them for a long enough time to be able to confidently say that they have remained favorites long enough to deserve to be here on this list.

#10 ... Memories of a Dream and Illusions - Arwen
Clinging to the number 10 position in my top 10 list are these two albums.  I include both because I really can't pick one over another.  The level of complexity and the interesting, vaguely exotic accent of the singers makes me still like these albums enough to give them thie #10 spot.

#9 ... Among Beggars and Thieves - Falconer
I still really enjoy listening to this album.  It has fallen down my list, but I still enjoy it quite a bit.  More progressive (to a degree) than Falconer's other albums to date, it's worth a listen if you haven't ever paid attention to it before.

#8 ... Scenes from a Memory - Dream Theater
Maintaining the same position as previously, this progressive, complex concept album is still a lot of fun to listen to.

#7 ... Moving Pictures - Rush
Now that Rush is on Epic Rock Radio, I am free to put this brilliant masterpiece of progressive rock into my top 10 list.  You listen to this album, and you have to marvel at the fact that there are only three people making all this music.  You want to talk about staying power, this album was made in 1981 and I still listen to it regularly.

#6 ... The Black Halo - Kamelot
In my opinion, this is still Kamelot's best album.  It ought to include the Epica album, because that is the beginning of the story arc, but that album hasn't quite got the punch that this one does in my opinion.  Sometimes dark and plodding, sometimes sorrowful, and sometimes triumphant, this is a great album, if a little bit on the less technical side compared to what I usually prefer.

#5 ... Unia - Sonata Arctica
Pure asskickery.  I absolutely love Sonata Arctica's foray into the progressive side of powermetal.  A lot of their diehard fans thought this was their worst album, but I am of a completely opposite mind.  "My Dream's Just a Drop of Fuel for a Nightmare" is the best Sonata Arctica song ever, in my opinion.

#4 ... Far From the Madding Crowd - Wuthering Heights  (Or pretty much any Wuthering Heights album with Nils Patrick Johanssen)
Nils Patrick Johanssen is awesome.  With a band like his own Astral Doors, though, he is hamstrung by the generic, unimaginative vanilla metal that they play.  With Wuthering Heights, though, his considerable singing talent is given worthy accompaniment. 

#3 ... Temple of Shadows - Angra
Still a massive favorite of mine.  Angra has never done another album that I like anywhere near as much as this one, unfortunately.  With soaring ballads and several rapid-fire songs that make you want to drive your car at unsafe speeds (Spread Your Fire, for example) this is a great album.

#2 ... V: The New Mythology Suite - Symphony X
What could be more epic than a progressive metal album about the fall of Atlantis?  (Well... How about a story about the battle of Hastings 1066?)  But seriously, this album was my introduction to progressive metal, so it has been in my possession longer than any other album in this genre, and I still listen to it regularly.

#1 ... Hastings 1066 - Thy Majestie
The best album ever made.  To this day, I near something new every time I sit down and listen to it.  The complexity and power of this album is simply unrivaled.  It is over the top, yet takes itself 100% seriously, unlike so many other bombastic, choir-laden bands that just don't quite measure up to this masterpiece.  I'm not really certain why I my old top 10 list didn't have this album in the #1 position.  I must have been really tired when I wrote it, or something.

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Muzz
Post Rank 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 04:11:31 am »

Hey Kailef, I'm glad I inspired you to write a new list  Grin  We certainly share some favorites too.

Very interesting to see Unia in your list. So many bad things have been said about it that I haven't listened to any track from it other than Paid in Full. I think they're great too so I'd be willing to give Unia a try  Smiley That must be a good song if it's better than White Pearl, Black Oceans.  Shocked

I like many of the songs from the 1st Chapter too. The ones I'm not so keen on remind me of Symphony X who I tried really hard to like but apart from a few tracks, I just can't get into them yet at the same time I can see why others would love them. Strangely though I think Russell Allen is fine in other projects. It's just a shame those Allen-Lande songs are so similar, it's hard to tell some of them apart. Individually though, they're quite good.

Falconer is interesting too. I also like this album and I think they have a bunch of great songs, like Mindtraveller. In the same vein as Dark moor though, sometimes the drumming is over the top, at least for me.

I might have more of a listen to Arwen too. I never see them requested. I wonder why?
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 09:59:02 am »

I don't have time at this very moment, but I'll add an example song link to my top 10 list.

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Billy123
ERR Champion
Post Rank 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:47:20 am »

It's disappointing to see Mercy Falls fall, because I'm pretty sure it has recently become my undisputed favourite, finally slaying the giant known as Scenes From A Memory which held the position for 7 years. I hope you can rekindle what you loved before about it. I've been in pure love with Mercy Falls for over 2 years now. Good job with Angra at #3; I just got into Angra recently and they look like they're going to be the next big thing for me, with Temple Of Shadows leading the way.

Dream Theater, Kamelot, Seventh Wonder, Nightwish, Stratovarius, Pagan's Mind, DGM, Fairyland, Circus Maximus, Secret Sphere
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: