gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2018, 12:18:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Another Top 10 Bands  (Read 7281 times)
i_am_the_hatecrew
Post Rank 1

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:43:13 am »

Ok so my buddies Lucas and Fabio keep telling me I need to post my top 10 bands and after a very boring day what else is there to do?

Honorable Mentions

Angra- one of the greatest bands, they just missed the cut off top 10 but i love their guitar work and vocals. I am still waiting for the official announcement of a U.S tour (i've been hearing massive rumors.)

DragonLand- this band im shocked I have not seen anywhere on this site, or i might just be blind, who knows. Lucas played this CD for me and it was so majestic, i dont even have words for it.

Pagan's Mind-Sadly these guys hit about number 11 for me but i am still dancing about the idea of seeing them at Progpower. These guys have something no other band has.  My paganistic mind was blown after listening to these guys  Grin

Judas Priest- These are the creators of power metal and yet no one has given them any credit. This band intruduced me into the beautiful world of rock and roll.  Halfords screeching vocals with the shrills of the guitars make everything rock should be.

Finally the Top 10

10)Rhapsody- This band is so complex that you can't leave them out of the line up.  Fabio's voice is a masterpiece by itself and then add a whole orchestra in the background and you create perfection.

9)Blind Guardian- What can you say about Guardian? They are the fathers of this genre and no wonder why, these guys are awesome.

8)Symphony X- First time I heard this band was at work and I heard Inferno, lets just say I had to change my underwear.

7)Evergrey- once again i give credit to lucas for showing me this band. He showed me the DVD "A night to remember" and the next day i had purchased "The Inner Circle" they are that good.

6)Vision Divine- The Perfect Machine is just that, perfect.  Their earlier stuff, even better.

5)Kamelot- enough said.  If you don't like Kamelot slap youself.

4)Sonata Arctica- Songs so sadistic yet so beautiful. The keyboards are an incredible factor and I was disappointed to find out Sonata is not Headlining the whole Progpower show, i would be happy if they were the only band there.

This is where it gets really difficult because these three bands are my favorites, it only depends on my mood on which one i listen to.  So they are all ranked #1

1)Iced Earth- melodic yet heavy, this band is everything i ever wanted.  Barlow's incredible vocals, Schaffer's rythm guitar... wow.  Then Barlow left and Ripper replaced him, one of my favorite singers.  Now i'll admit the last CD was not great but the next one is goinig to be great.

1)Children of Bodom- yes I know their not Power or Progressive but these guys can blow anyones mind. Laiho vocals and the intricate guitar work these guys are constantly in my CD Player.

1)Epica- I first heard Simone Simons on Kamelot's "The Haunting" and asked Lucas who did the female vocals, he said I don't know I think the chick from some band called Epica. 10 minutes later and $50's less i owned Epica's two releases. they were masterpieces in my mind, could have been heavier, but more than make up for that live. Plus Simone is so incredibly hot.

Since day one I've been crass and far beyond.
I couldn't laugh, I couldn't cry...
Before you judge me, take a look at yourself.
Condescending, outlivin' in a lie..
Narzoul
Post Rank 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 10:23:00 am »

Hello there "i_am_the_hatecrew", welcome on board! Wink Must say, it wasn't hard to guess which is going to be one of your favorite bands. Grin Nice list you've got there as well... I should post mine too, some people have already been insisting me to. It's just that I'm too busy with other things. Roll Eyes (And I've got a couple of other "excuses" at hand, if you keep pushing me. Cheesy) Hope to see you post more, stay tuned!
i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 03:50:49 pm »

I applaud this list. I think it is a completely awesome list, though IMO you have the order a tad mixed up. I think you surely ment to put Symphony X above all of those others. I could see where personal tastes could come into play to a degree......but.......I find it mind-boggling that everyone doesn't have SX at the top of their list. I dare you to name three songs by them you don't care for much, I dare you to name an album they have put out, post Russell, that has been below outstanding. They are the greatest! Other than this I like your mention of Dragonland and I probably would have had Bodom and Iced Earth if my list was just a touch longer. Great Bands.

As for Epica.....yesterday I for the first time gave them a full and fair chance. I popped in "Consign to Oblivion" and turned it up. I was fully in listening mode. I was surfing the web a little but my mind was focused, and I honestly have to say....I was impressed. This may be one of those bands that I have to listen to it loudly to enjoy it fully. Favorite tracks were 'Consign to Oblivion' and 'Dance of Fate'. Will be giving it another listen soon but I could see myself getting something else from them very soon. ? Cool
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 03:28:17 pm by i_am_fabio » Logged

"If There Is Life After Death, There Is No Death
  And If Death Does Not Exist, We Do Not Live"
i_am_the_hatecrew
Post Rank 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 12:47:24 pm »

dont forget fabio that "Prison of desire" CD i gave you was After Forever not Epica, but yes same style of CD's Wink

i_am_fabio
ERR Staff
Post Rank 5

Never Forgotten Heroes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 03:46:59 pm »

My mistake.  Embarrassed It was Epica's "Consign to Oblivion" that I listened to. "Prison of Desire" is coming up. Though I may not get to it soon enough, because I just recieved five CD's in the mail. Got a ton of new stuff to check out. I'll keep you all updated..........Man! I need to get another job to support ny addiction.  Cool

"If There Is Life After Death, There Is No Death
  And If Death Does Not Exist, We Do Not Live"
Prior
Post Rank 4

Bach, Vaughn-Williams , Therion: it's all good

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 01:18:29 pm »

Welcome "I Am the Hatecrew"  Thanks for posting your list; I like it!
I'm glad to see Angra, Judas Priest and Dragonland listed.  I've only one disc of each of these bands but think they're all great.  And yes, Judas Priest is really the saintly god-father of Metal.  Things would be different had they never come along.

I like all the bands you mentioned in your top ten but am especially glad to see the inclusion of Iced Earth.  I love Matt Barlow and think that 'Horror Show' is a freakin' gread cd.  I've been meaning on buying 'The Glorious Burden' (I also own 'Dark Saga'... mainly because I'm still kind of a comic book geek..you know, Spawn and all that  Grin )
Anyway, you've got great taste  (which I should have expected since you're listening to Sensei Kalief's aural emanations)

"If I ever die of a heart attack, I hope it will be from playing my stereo too loud"  -- Anonymous

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"
-- Robert Fripp
Murdoc the Mad
Post Rank 2

A Wandering Bard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 12:29:07 pm »

1)Children of Bodom- yes I know their not Power or Progressive but these guys can blow anyones mind. Laiho vocals and the intricate guitar work these guys are constantly in my CD Player.

Actually, they are power metal.  Just with harsh vocals.  Great band; Follow the Reaper is an excellent album.

"And here I thought I'd get through the whole day without killing anyone." - Caine, Heroes Die by Matthew Stover
i_am_the_hatecrew
Post Rank 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 07:47:03 am »

ya i guess your right they can be considered power metal, i have always considered them thrash but if we call them power can we get them on epic rock? Grin

JayPeeG
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

Rocking out, one day at a time.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 04:24:50 pm »

Well, Children of Bodom isn't power metal, it's not black metal, it's not death metal.  It's pretty much all of that mixed together in some sweet, ass kicking arrangements.  That's why I like these guys as well.

I'm going to have to compose my top ten list little by little each day it would seem, or else it's never going to make its way in here.

Oh well, gotta get back to work again.  *turns volume up*

~ Powerquest makes me want to grow a mullet and drive a Trans-Am.   - Creed
lucas_broom
Post Rank 3

Just call me Luca

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 03:13:24 pm »

Hardcore list. Pretty solid but u knew I was gonna be upset about u not having Pagans Mind in your top ten. Besides that it's good. Simone is so hot it's unbearable especially live. Wink By the way call me Luca. Grin
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 03:15:26 pm by lucas_broom » Logged

My band will be named Pagans Gallery
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: