gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2017, 02:00:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New Server!  (Read 255 times)
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2017, 05:11:40 am »

Thanks to some thrifty use of spare parts, a bunch of reprogramming by Feuer Frei, and a twelve-hour marathon of work on my part, Epic Rock Radio is now living on a brand new server, running on a brand new OS!

While we couldn't migrate the forums, I've kept them running on the old server on a different port for the time being, so we can still access them.  Our "news" managment program that generates the updates at the bottom of the page has stopped working, but I only update that sucker maybe once every six months, so who cares?  I can just change to plain text and it'll work just as well.  :-)

In any case, you should see a pretty dramatic increase in the site's speed and overall reliability.  But, this is definitely a brand new setup, so there may still be stuff that doesn't work.  If things go wrong, send me an email, or find me over here on our new Epic Rock Radio Discord chat room:  https://discord.gg/sPnxKZK

Post here and let me know what you think.  Does it work well?  Faster than before?  Noticed any problems?  Here's the place to let me know.

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

sdev
Post Rank 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:51:12 pm »

Great news! Hopefully there will be no downtime like on the old server anymore Smiley Definitely faster then before the site is..

About the forums, should be easy to move? You could move it to a small web hosting company if you have any special configuration on the old server. There are cheap hosting out there for smf, like https://www.one.com or stablehost http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1574540.
Joe the Tech
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

Performing digital miracles.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 12:27:08 pm »

Hey boss, what'd you end up going with on hardware? I probably have a bunch of spare parts I can send your way to help you out.
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 01:14:36 am »

Joe, I ended up with a pretty decent rig.  Nothing brand new, but it's a Xeon E2-1270 V2 (3.5 ghz) with 32 GB of RAM and a hardware RAID array with four 512 GB SSDs in RAID5.  In short, it kicks the shit out of the hardware we were on previously.  The RAM increase has been super helpful, the CPU is much better, but the real difference is that drive array.  The server belonged to and client who got a new server, he was going to throw this old one away, but he said "you can have my old server if you'll just get it out of here for me".  Nice, eh?

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Joe the Tech
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

Performing digital miracles.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 10:44:47 am »

Awesome! You've got my email, so let me know if you need anything for it (I'm assuming it's DDR3 ECC). I've typically got loads of server hardware lying around considering the data center I run out of my garage (see photo). Wish you were closer so I could get you bigger stuff more easily.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:50:27 am by Joe the Tech » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: