gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2019, 12:18:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Shoutbox Problems / Replacement  (Read 12268 times)
LadyWoreBlack
ERR Champion
Post Rank 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 10:43:37 am »

Update:  Here are the problems I've encountered so far.

1. They seem to have a limit of 100 total smilies.  I'm asking their support team if they can add more for us.  The last 25 or so wouldn't fit when I added them today.

2. Am I blind, or is there nowhere to see the names of the people currently logged in to the shoutbox?  I miss being able to actually see who I'm chatting with.

3. Still no apparent way to integrate the ERR account with the shoutbox account like we did with the old shoutbox.  It's not a terribly big deal though, you just need to sign up for a shoutbox account before you can chat.

I made the comment yesterday about not being able to see who is in the shoutbox also - so it doesn't seem to be just you, and I really like that feature too. Almost a necessity, really, like having to be logged in. With the smiley issue, there are some that are kind of duplicated (for example, we have two "singers", two pirates, two vikings) so perhaps you can consider deleting a few, as we definitely want the ones that were specially created for ERR. It is rather annoying that the smilies are a separate pop-up box, however. Don't know if that can be modified.  Cool

"Chase the light I see ahead, luminate the path I tread, I live to be the best I can" Queensryche - Best I Can
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 08:45:10 pm »

One of the developers of iShoutbox emailed me today and said that he can probably increase the limit to 150 smilies so we may be able to have all of ours plus room to grow.  He said that he'll try it next week and let us know.

He also said that he has adding a way to view the current people in the shoutbox on his list of "to do" items but it might be a little while before it happens.

So far I haven't found any other shoutboxes that are even half as good as this one, the others I've tested are awful, most don't even have custom smilies at all, and they only update the chat once every sixty seconds.  UGH!

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 01:28:07 pm »

The developer is being *really* helpful, by the way.  I'm not used to the sort of quick and positive responses he's been giving me, normally support for "free services" is iffy at the very best.  If he does half the things for us that he says he's going to do, I'm hooked on iShoutbox for life.  :-)

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Svarthamar
Post Rank 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 02:54:44 am »

As far as i can see, the iShoutbox is working quite nicely. I don't have any complaints about it, apart from what has already been posted here (most notably not being able to see who's online) so I think it's an excellent replacement.
FeuerFrei-
ERR Champion
Post Rank 2

the freezing fog got me again..

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 06:15:19 am »

As far as i can see, the iShoutbox is working quite nicely. I don't have any complaints about it, apart from what has already been posted here (most notably not being able to see who's online) so I think it's an excellent replacement.

I think it is good enough to keep the current chat solution as-is. I would love to see the enhancements made, like the "current members" feature, but I do like the additional capabilities it gave us.

Slack provides an API for building your own client/integrated window. I am short on free time lately, so not really feeling it.

EDIT: I am also growing to like the moving text, blinking text, when used tactfully. It was one thing to have a "dragon", "wolf" icons, but being able to have then chase (or be chased) is absolutely hilarious Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:20:33 am by FeuerFrei- » Logged
subicorn

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 01:29:02 pm »

Hi All, after few days of using:
for me is this iSB very good replacement for old SB. Itīs stable, quick and with some more features.
I miss more rows in message box(at the start it was modifiable). Iīm not very good in English and I need to check my written text. In one row it is quite hard. 
 150 emojis is lotīs of. It will be good to sort  it in groups (smiles, animals, specials or so....) or delete unused ones. And of course some of new smilies should be added too.

PS.: Some of Us have problem in work to focus on work cause of this new iSB Cheesy
PS2: Thanks Kai for your hard work on this SB problem.
Vlammie
Post Rank 1

Bardicorn: be ware or I'll viciously mock you!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 11:06:55 pm »

I love the new SB! Blinking, glowing, moving text and moving emojies. It's so much fun, makes me laugh out loud behind my computer.  Grin Only thing missing is the unicorn emoji
mengeltjes
Post Rank 2

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 11:26:57 pm »

I  love the new SB Kai, only perhaps it is now even more distracting. Smiley

Will work for Coffee
Arkam
Post Rank 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 11:53:09 pm »

The new shoutbox is good, when we'll have all the emoticons back it will be even better Cheesy

I agree on the particular styles like blinking and moving being distracting and difficult to read, especially when in combo with glowing text and low contrast colors, but when used tactfully they are hilarious (dragon chasing freaking kills me)

Keep in mind that I can code a shoutbox from scratch if needed, but it looks like this product is well supported

Fra

General of the Dundee Invasion Army
FeuerFrei-
ERR Champion
Post Rank 2

the freezing fog got me again..

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 03:58:30 pm »

Most (but not all) original icons have returned. I request the following tweaks:
  • currently *guitar* renders as (keyboard guy), I think that icon was originally coded as *keys*
  • Lets trade "giant pirate head guy" for the often-needed running unicorn, Gloryhammer songs beg for it  Grin
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 06:08:38 pm »

Most (but not all) original icons have returned. I request the following tweaks:
  • currently *guitar* renders as (keyboard guy), I think that icon was originally coded as *keys*
  • Lets trade "giant pirate head guy" for the often-needed running unicorn, Gloryhammer songs beg for it  Grin

Oops on the guitar / keyboard.  There was a LOT to move and I may have transposed a line or two.  Yup, as I re-examine, I can see that I totally missed the regular *guitar*.  Okay, so I need to put in the following once we get more room:

*guitar*
*ale*
*sax*
*spells*
*wizard*
*mage*
*tumble*
*halt*
*death*
*lol*
*geek*
*iron*
*reaper*
*tank*
*tardis*
and, of course...
*unicorn*

Unless I made another mistake somewhere, the rest of the smilies should all be there.

I also downloaded all the stock smilies from Shoutmix in case we happen to want to use those rather than the stock smilies that iShoutmix gives us.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:10:51 pm by Kailef » Logged

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 06:12:53 pm »

Question for everyone.  We have two options, and I'd like to know which one you prefer:

1. We can have a multi-line chat input box, but have to click  the "Shout" button or press Control-Enter to send the chat.

or

2. We can have a single-line chat input box (which is what we have now, and how Shoutmix used to be) and just press the Enter key to send the chat.

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Arkam
Post Rank 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2017, 11:31:53 pm »

Single line with working enter please Cheesy

General of the Dundee Invasion Army
tpearce713
Post Rank 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 04:52:01 am »

Question for everyone.  We have two options, and I'd like to know which one you prefer:

1. We can have a multi-line chat input box, but have to click  the "Shout" button or press Control-Enter to send the chat.

or

2. We can have a single-line chat input box (which is what we have now, and how Shoutmix used to be) and just press the Enter key to send the chat.

I prefer the multi-line; it made it easier to see all of the text when typing longer messages
Muninn
Post Rank 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 05:10:20 am »

Personally, i prefer single line.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to: