gfxgfxEpic Rock Radiogfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 17, 2019, 12:43:37 am

Login with username, password and session length
It costs over $600 a month to keep Epic Rock Radio on the air.  Please head to our Patron page and make a donation to help keep us on the air!  The site is http://patreon.com/kailef and we really appreciate your help!
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
Search:     Advanced search
gfxgfx Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: A thought....  (Read 117 times)
Warsheep
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2019, 09:46:57 am »

There are developments in the shoutbox, especially lately, that get ignored by the majority of you and when I point them out in a statement like this morning or the pirate thing a few weeks ago, the whole shoutbox switches to attack mode against me without even thinking about what I actually said. Some of you even take it personally even if it had nothing to do with them.

This was not the first time, it probably won’t be the last as some of you seem to take the counter position just for the sake of arguing.

But what was my comment this morning about? (unfortunatly my sb log only goes back 6hrs so i can’t copy it over here)

Lately it has become a bad habit of some people to comment on every song/band that they don’t like  (on a daily basis, every time these bands play and multiple times per day):
- *yawn* / *zzz* / boring / …
- bands are commented in a derogatory way
- „female fronted bands make no good music“ (to put it nicely)
- …
- many other rather stupid comments and complaints about this or that band

Yes, some of those complaints have always been there, even from me, but the connotation has always be a provoking one without the negative touch they have now. People used to listen to something else, turned down the volume or took down the headphones when a song/band played they didn’t like. But that seems to have changed. The amount of negativity towards songs/bands in the SB has totally gotten out of hand in the last weeks. In my eyes this will sooner or later kill normal dialogue in the SB.

The worrying thing about this is that most of you just don’t seem to see it or you are just ignoring it. Maybe you just don’t care for whatever reason. I do care for positive „vibes“ in the SB. I am there to talk to people to have the one or other discussion (just not with Ley, they usually take too long) and maybe even have fun while listening to music. But currently I do more and more lose interest in talking to people in the SB because of this negativity that is spread by some people mostly during european hours.

And I know what you are saying now: „You are doing it yourself“ Yes I do complain about songs or bands from time to time, mostly to spark a discussion (see: VC is not metal-discussion). But what I don’t do is complaining about bands everytime they play multiple times per day every day.

This has gotten so annoying over the last weeks that I just had to say something this morning.

But maybe I am totally wrong and I do misunderstand you all, maybe I’ve been here too long and just don’t get the new generation of ERR-listeners which most of you definitly belong to.

Am I really so wrong about this?

Think before replying, don’t just open fire on me like you usually do in the SB….

...and one other thing: No one is forced to listen to ERR, if you don't like the music then go listen something else instead of spreading negativity all around.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:52:19 am by Warsheep » Logged

wool & cookies ...and cookies!
Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 03:17:48 pm »

We don't currently have a moderator to cover European hours, so for the time being, feel free to take screenshots of inappropriate behavior and send it to me.

I had a long response typed up but I accidentally erased it, so I'm going to go for the short and sweet version:

I don't mind a little bit of playful banter between friends.  But if you say something just to be negative about a band, song, person, gender, or anything else, you're doing it wrong.  Negativity has no place in our shoutbox.  If you want to be a jerk and talk bad about bands, songs or people, please do it somewhere else.  If you have a serious issue, reach out to me and let me know.

Please don't make me have to resort to banning people.  I really don't want to do that.

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Warsheep
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 09:58:43 pm »

In the current situation I don't see a reason for naming people, pointing fingers and banning people. This should always be a last resort as it usually stirs up more trouble than solving a problem.

No, my post above is about trying to wake up people and open their eyes to this development, so they can counteract it themselves. I believe that the SB is able to selfregulate in a certain range but people first have to see that there is a problem building up before they can react. In my opinion we have reached a point where just saying something in the SB does not wake up people.

When people just start thinking a bit more about what they are writing and react accordingly to the behaviour mentioned in the first post then I think this problem will regulate itself. But posting stuff like this in the SB has a reach of five minutes before it is back to business as usual. Therefor we are now here in the forums, hopefully it brings a few impulses to people and makes them start thinking about this topic.

Hool
Post Rank 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 02:05:14 am »

Dear Ws,did my unkempt language again splashed something on someone in the SB?  Shocked
In that case, I'm sorry.

METAL,METAL ABOVE ALL!!!
Warsheep
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 06:12:23 am »

Dear Ws,did my unkempt language again splashed something on someone in the SB?  Shocked
In that case, I'm sorry.

Well, no, nothing to do with you  Grin Cheesy

Hool
Post Rank 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 06:49:05 am »

Cool All year without ban.  Tongue Grin

METAL,METAL ABOVE ALL!!!
LadyWoreBlack
ERR Champion
Post Rank 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 03:50:48 pm »

Cool All year without ban.  Tongue Grin
Yeah, but the year has only begun, Hool! Grin Grin Bahahahah!!

"Chase the light I see ahead, luminate the path I tread, I live to be the best I can" Queensryche - Best I Can
Hool
Post Rank 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 10:08:58 pm »

BWL.... but You are too lazy MADerator to ban anyone!  Tongue Tongue Cheesy Cheesy

METAL,METAL ABOVE ALL!!!
mengeltjes
Post Rank 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 03:07:53 am »

I will do my best to flee less at covers.  And stop teasing Ley with Geneic Hansi's. Cheesy

even be *zip* about DT

After we are here for the music.

Will work for Coffee
Arkam
Post Rank 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 03:10:50 am »

By not wanting to see it, it's not like I don't want, I am at work while listening to ERR, so many times I loose questions, discussions or even songs

My personal part is during Dream Theater, I launch the *puke* emoticon and switch to Youtube, if you feel offended by the puke, it's just an expression of my personal taste, and I will never judge another one taste, because that's how taste works, it's personal, I will just stop posting the puke.

Other than that, I think that arguing or fighting in the SB is useless, when a flame starts, everyone should switch to youtube for 2 minutes, watch a video and them ignore everything, I completely approve the fact the we should discuss with positive and constructive behavior, other kind of "approach" should be moderated.

I'll try to do my part, but I think the SB is precious and I don't want to loose it, I have met many great friends, discovered new bands and found many great ideas and inspiration in it.

Ark

General of the Dundee Invasion Army
mengeltjes
Post Rank 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 03:19:01 am »

A extra note, I also tend to do the same as Ark, and take a small SB break when flaming starts. Or try to break the flame with a popcorn.

But I think it will be a good start to stop flaming other peoples requests. As they do like the music they requestes. So it should be respected. Cheesy

I love the SB, keeps workdays sometimes a bit interesting. Most times a bit to much.  Grin Roll Eyes

Will work for Coffee
Trivoulge
Monthly ERR Supporter
Post Rank 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 03:38:43 am »

-- slightly modified copy paste from SB ---
I think most of us here find too much negatively very annoying, but what is different is amount of negatively which we all can personally tolerate. On scale to 1-10 I believe "tolerance level" for some users is somewhere at 2 and other users is somewhere around 10. Some users might just say "opinion noted" and keep that as part of normal conversation for same kind of arguments which some users would find very hostile and annoying.

Some people whom tolerance level is around 5 might think that those whom tolerance level is 2 are pissed too easily while those whom tolerance level are 10 are being way too hostile.

So what is the correct amount? I don't know, and I doubt there is. It is just there are very different personalities in here and even if nobody is absolutely right or wrong. Also I think it is good to consider that other people might think very different than you do. 

Personally I also think that some part of negativity is needed to have good conversations. Not going to be very good conversation if everybody agrees of everything. I think if you don’t like something, you should be able to say that too, but not very hostile way.
Warsheep
ERR Champion
Post Rank 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 03:46:57 am »

-- slightly modified copy paste from SB ---
I think most of us here find too much negatively very annoying, but what is different is amount of negatively which we all can personally tolerate. On scale to 1-10 I believe "tolerance level" for some users is somewhere at 2 and other users is somewhere around 10. Some users might just say "opinion noted" and keep that as part of normal conversation for same kind of arguments which some users would find very hostile and annoying.

Some people whom tolerance level is around 5 might think that those whom tolerance level is 2 are pissed too easily while those whom tolerance level are 10 are being way too hostile.

So what is the correct amount? I don't know, and I doubt there is. It is just there are very different personalities in here and even if nobody is absolutely right or wrong. Also I think it is good to consider that other people might think very different than you do.  

Personally I also think that some part of negativity is needed to have good conversations. Not going to be very good conversation if everybody agrees of everything. I think if you don’t like something, you should be able to say that too, but not very hostile way.

No one is asking for peace, joy and pancakes but I'd say the vocabulary plays a big role in how negative something negative is perceived.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:50:59 am by Warsheep » Logged

Kailef
The Boss
Post Rank 5

Symphonic Powermetal Rules!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 05:54:28 pm »

Actually, that's not true.  I definitely want pancakes.  As they slightly misquote in Speed Racer: "Pfannkuchen sind Liebe"

There's definitely people with different levels of tolerance on the shoutbox.  By now, I think it should be pretty clear to everyone who will tolerate and who will not tolerate abberant behavior.  I prefer the complex and intricate bands, so I sometimes make fun of some of the more banal classic style metal we play.  Doesn't mean I'm making fun of the person who requested the music.

However, it's MY responsibility - At least within reason - to make sure that the words I type or speak are not offensive to someone else.  I always need to be prepared to back down and apologize if I upset someone else.  There are exceptions for when people are consistently unreasonable and expect to be treated like a "princess" at all times.  If you find yourself in a situation like that on a regular basis, you let me know about it and show me what was said, and I will take care of it myself.

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

mengeltjes
Post Rank 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 12:00:43 am »

Actually, that's not true.  I definitely want pancakes.  As they slightly misquote in Speed Racer: "Pfannkuchen sind Liebe"

There's definitely people with different levels of tolerance on the shoutbox.  By now, I think it should be pretty clear to everyone who will tolerate and who will not tolerate abberant behavior.  I prefer the complex and intricate bands, so I sometimes make fun of some of the more banal classic style metal we play.  Doesn't mean I'm making fun of the person who requested the music.

However, it's MY responsibility - At least within reason - to make sure that the words I type or speak are not offensive to someone else.  I always need to be prepared to back down and apologize if I upset someone else.  There are exceptions for when people are consistently unreasonable and expect to be treated like a "princess" at all times.  If you find yourself in a situation like that on a regular basis, you let me know about it and show me what was said, and I will take care of it myself.

I want pancakes too.....

Will work for Coffee
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: